Ladies who've had C-Sections...

My first child was a c-section (due to the fact that he was too big to pass through my pelvis). What can I expect for my second child? Do the OBs try to do a vaginal birth or does it depend on the patient? Do you heal worse than the first time? Is there a limit on how many kids you'll be able to have??? So many question, I know...I just felt that once I had my first c-section that I would have more problems in the future.

Dayija

Asked by Dayija at 2:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, that is the reason I had my first c-section too and if one baby is too big then it really depends for your next one. They might not allow a VBAC if the baby seems to be the smae size or bigger than the last. My second c-section I chose b/c she was stillborn. The healing after surgery was just fine! No harder than the first time. I'll also be having another c-section in 25 days and I think it will also go well. They recommend 3 total c-sections but many women have 4 or more. You just have to find the right doctor and after each c-section ask the doc who did it how the uterus looks and about havin another child. These are all questions your doc would gladly answer as well and may be able to tell you more. GL
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I haven't personally had a c-section yet. I am having my first one in August. My DD was born vaginally but I am having twins so I opted for the c section. My mom on the other hand had me c section because I was too big also. She did go on to have 4 more children and had them all vaginally. she had complications with both of my brothers. They were her second and third deliveries but my sisters went fine. the on;y reason why she had those problems was because she has a hook on her tail bone. My best friends mom had all 3 of her girls c sections because she just couldn't have them naturally. I would talk to your OB, they may say that its ok for you to try VBAC but it might be more beneficial to both you and baby to opt for the c section. Good Luck
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 3:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• There is a great group on here called the C-Section Support group that can help answer ALL you questions :) I really recommend them.

In short, it depends why you had the c/s how you were cut, if your doctor supports VBACS among a lot of other things.

I can't speak of healing but I am going for a VBAC this time around unless something comes up and it's unsafe for this baby to go through hard labor (she's got a heart problem and an umbilical problem).

Good luck, and check out the group, they're great!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I had 2 c-sections, the first because I was not progressing after almost 40 hours of labour. The second was schedualed. The hospital in our area does not alow VBAC because it does not have a trauma center and they don't want the liability in case of a rupture at the point of the uterine scar. this rist is very slim, but still exists, so its c-section for me. But I know that VBAC is available in other hospitals. It will depend on your doctor or midwife. the midwife will be more willing to try if that is what you really want to do. If you were told your pelvis was too narrow then that may still be an issue with baby number 2. But my midwife was able to tell by feeling around up there and with an ultrasound of the babies head. As for how many sections you can have I believe the number is up to 10! I asked my doctor if I could have more and he said abosolutely...good luck mamma
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I had a c-section with my first due to his heart and 18 hours of labor with no change at 8 cen. The too big thing is a crock a lot of time, just easier for the doctors. The baby is not too big unless it's like 12 13lbs I had a friend who just had a 9lb baby after a c-section. Some doctors will let you decide the second time around after a c-section but some will say no.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009