Yoga Against Ones beliefes??

So why would someone NOT do yoga because of their beliefs?
I know when it FIRST became popular a few yrs ago Christians were a lil uptight about doing poses because it could be worshing another god, but I thought we got past all that & yoga is just a really great workout & you can pose/meditate/pray to any god of your choice (or no god for that matter!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Meditation is very much in the Christian tradition.
    http://www.allaboutgod.com/christian-meditation.htm
    It's mentioned in quite a few of the Psalms - 5, 19, 104, among others.
    It's practiced by most members of any clerical order.

As with anything, intent is what matters to God. Are you doing Yoga to strengthen and keep healthy the body He gave you? Or are you doing yoga to show him you don't care? Are you meditating to help hear that small still voice that is the voice of God? Or are you meditating to figure out a way to justify doing what you want?

Transcendental Meditation was a creation of the 70's. True meditation goes back long before Christ. What's wrong with "spiritual introspection" anyway? Doesn't God want us to know AND understand his word? Or was the creation of the printing press truly the most evil thing ever since now anyone - not just priests - can read the Bible and decide for themselves?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have 2 Yoga videos and when they sit in the pose and meditate I just meditate in my way instead of theirs. Most of the time they are just reflecting thoughts and mantras for your outer beauty to reflect your inner beauty etc..and the bible teaches a similar principle so I don't mind it..
    PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I do yoga for health benefits. I am a Christian.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 3:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I dont do it .... It is against what I believe in..

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• hinson...... my questions is WHY ... what is against your belief? ... :)
    Anonymous

• because it is meditating.. I dont believe in that the bible says to pray not Meditate

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree with hinson on this one
    Anonymous

• lol....I was just talking about this with my parents! In 7th grade my parents forbid me to participate in a yoga lesson in gym class. I was sent to school with a note saying it was against my religion. Then I just saw a Yoga workout video at my moms!!!! I told her she scarred me for life by making me an outcast and now participates in Yoga herself lol! When it first came out it was very much tied to meditation and not in a Christian way.......now people can separate the Yoga moves from any religious meaning. I like the stretches/poses as exercise but practice it for no religious or meditative purpose at all.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Prayer is meditation. You just say words where meditation doesnt always do so.

Geez...
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Do the same people who think yoga is evil also forbid their kids from participating in any form of martial arts? It's the same thing, just different disciplines.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009