Would you bring your sick kids to playgroup?

My two have been sick all winter. They are now recovering but they still have runny noses and slight cough. Should we continue to stay home untill they are 100% ? We are getting seriously bored.

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have organized a local playgroup for almost two years now. Personally, I don't mind it, because I find if my son is going to get sick he's going to get sick either way, you know? Unless I shield him indoors 24/7, but that's not possible and he could pick up a cold anywhere while we're out and about. Some mothers are more fickle than others though and yes, some get offended when a sick child is brought out. It's silly to me though and I would say get them out of the house and have some fun. I've had a runny nose for almost a month now and I'm not sick at all, it's just this darn weather, so your kids may not even be contagious anymore anyhow.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 3:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• as long as they arent contagious then i dont see a problem with them going
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My daughter now a teenager is clinically diagnosed through two separate renown hospitals countrywide as having asthma that only comes from first getting a resp. illnesses and resp. infections. Nearly 17 years after her birth and countless asthma attacks later she still gets asthma attacks with less frequency but when she gets them she gets wiped out. Probably there are other kids of different ages with asthma like she has. I wonder how many of her illnesses could have been avoided had her schoolmates with green running noses and sick eyes and in playgroups too could have been avoided had she not come in contact with them. I can keep my daughter now away from known sick people but those who choose through parents or themselves to be in known groups with green noses running noses and coughs congested or not I can not help my daughter. Please stay home til runny noses gone and eyes are healthy again. Boredom isn't catchn.
    Anonymous

• Typically with a cold you're only contagious for the first few days. After that snot is just snot. It's whether you want to explain that to the other moms or not. Most don't care and figure the kids all share germs anyway. But if there are younger babies there, you may want to give the disclaimer (she's nearing the end of this cold, etc). You're right, though, if you stay home through 100% of symptoms you'll be in all winter!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We go to our local EI playgroup and we're not allowed to go if noses are running green/yellow, fever, vomiting etc.

Obviously if the boys have a fever or a tummy bug we don't go anywhere.
    I have brought the boys if they're nearing the end of a cold and the noses aren't running quite as much but we stear clear if we're at the beginning of a cold.
    We're on day 4 of a cold now and group is tomorrow so we're playing it by ear.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think that it depends on the sickness. I am also one that believes that if they are going to get it they are going to get it. I personally think that a child is more likely to catch something from grocery carts. Fresh air would probably help you get rid of it. I think that if you know your child is contagious, stay home but I never worry about the normal little infections. Are they coughing up their lung? Do they have green/yellow caked nose? I think if you use common sense you should be good. Hope you/your family feel better!
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Most little ones and even into grade school have green snotty noses from infections. As long as the active symptoms of a cold are there a cold is contagious. Most colds last close to seven days which is more than the first few days. If the snot is green not yellow or clear and now is running even though green or stuffed up and green and eyes are still sick looking even if kid is eating better the cold or is still very active and contagious. Lucky the the parent who doesn't have an asthmatic child like mine. When the green nose stops plus eyes look better with or with out antibiotics the kid is just about cold free. Coughs can last 4vr, they're not as bad as snotty noses. Having three kids in teens thru midtwenties, been there done all that. Sympathy to you mommy, sick kids r a wreck and make us a wreck. Hope they feel better but pls don't spread obviouslactive colds or infecs. WHY can a man go to moon BUT NO COLD ANTIBIO.
    Anonymous

• If mine was in the weeks long "clean up phase" - where that darn runny nose and slight cough just won't go away and hang around for weeks - I would.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If there is a runny nose, a cough or a sneeze, they are contagious. A cold is just at it's worst for the first 3-5 days. They're still contagious as long as they have any symptoms.

That said, no I did not take my kids to a playgroup if they still had symptoms. However, I went knowing there would be other kids there who would be sick and from whom my kids would become sick.
    Anonymous

• If I knew my child was contagious then absolutely not.
    GregorysMom2008

Answer by GregorysMom2008 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009