Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't really understand this, maybe i am misunderstanding it..

Okay , so i was applying fot the chip assistance through the state to cover my pregnancy since my health insurance plan is not covering it. Anyways on the application it says at the bottom that if you are pregnant and do not have a social security number or are a non citizen that you may still qualify for chip. Well doesn't that make them not legal here? Anyways i was denied due to over there income limits. But what irritated me the most is that both my husband and i work full time, had insurance that apparently is shit, andpay our taxes . And i can't help but wonder if they really are covering people who are not legal citizens and have no socials so i would assume arent paying taxes. It just doesn't seem fair. Am i misunderstanding that phrase? Am i being unreasonable? Is that not where working peoples taxes go? i am not in the poverty category, but i don't have $7000.00 or more sitting in the bank to shell out right now?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (13)
  • One of you should quit your job and then you will be under the income limits and you can qualify for health care.

    Pretty messed up!

    Illegals have to be getting health care from somewhere. I mean it's not like they are dying off from being sick.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I'm not sure when it started to become automatic, but there was a time when you were not issued a social security card until you started working. I was 12 when I was issued a SS card, some of my friends were 16-18 (varies by state). However, my children (oldest 7) got his SS# along with his birth certificate.

    You might also not have a SS number if YOU are illegal, but have at least one "anchor baby" and another on the way! I guess CHIP cannot deny pre-post natal health care?!


    Answer by LoriKeet at 3:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • From my understanding you can be born in America and don't have to have a SS #, but if you do that you lose out on something else. I was told this, so I'm not sure how true it is.

    Answer by bxbsmommy at 3:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I am from California and that is where all the money is going, to illegals. Until you see it you will not believe it.
    I do believe in helping people who pay taxes and still need help. That is what welfare was for. The anchor baby stuff has to stop.

    Answer by gammie at 3:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • This is why I think welfare is a joke, they don't help the ones that really need it instead they help those that are trying not to help themselves. And for someone who is not legal in this country, I have never understood how they are allowed benefits that our tax dollars are paying for.

    Answer by lisadallasr at 3:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I agree with the first poster....quit your job or scale down hours to get under the limit and get accepted. It will be far more beneficial to you. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • The lack of a social security number doesn't mean someone is here illegally. It simply means that that person is not paying into social security and will not receive those benefits. There are thousands of LEGAL residents who are here on visa that pay income taxes and pay into welfare, but do not have a social security number.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • My husband and I were just talking- we'd actually "make" more money if he quit his job and we collected welfare, etc. It's a messed up society where we punish those that try and reward those that don't.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • You can be legal resident of U.S. but that does not mean you need to be citizen of U.S.

    Yes you need to have social security card . It's one of the first things what you will get when you starting the legal road to be permanent resident or citizen of U.S

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Make payment arrangements.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.