I've tried disipline & It don't work any advice

Me and my husband have tried all kinds of disipline on our daughters, from time-outs, rewards, spanking ( even though Im not really for it) and lots of other things but they don't listen at all. Can someone out there please help before I lose my mind. I know kids are suppose to fight and be uncontrolling at times but it has gotten out of hand and I don't even know how. Thanks

Carmie0721

Asked by Carmie0721 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have raised my kids with love and logic. I treat them with respect and let them know beforehand the consequence for them not following through with what they need to. Have to be out the door by 8 in the morning and the child is still in their pajamas? I'm sorry, it looks like you're going to school in your pajamas today. Have a child throwing a fit? By all means, throw the fit, but do it in that corner, thanks. Whiny child that doesn't want to do a chore because it's too hard? Tell them, I think you are awesome and you can do it faster then me, so show me.
    It is about allowing the child to experience both the positive and negative outcomes of their actions and choices. I tend to ignore a lot of yucky behavior and praise what I like to see (i.e. honesty, self reliance, caring attitude). And the trick is staying calm through it all and staying consistent with your method of parenting.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Sort of going through this with my 2 1/2 year old. He's been on a new level of defiant this past month or so and I'm not sure what's causing it. We're trying to be as consistent as possible. Everyone keeps saying it is just the age, so I'm trying to hang on to that hope and just keep at it as we normally do, but it worries me still since I do not want it to become an ongoing problem as he grows older. Sorry that I can't offer any real advice and can only say that I understand where you're coming from. How old are your girls?
    Anonymous

• First,You and your hb have to be on the same side. Than it depends on how old and what the child did.
    If they are fighting with each other you do have to stop it, some people will tell you to let them kill them selfs and I think that is wrong.
    Pull them apart make them sit at a table and teach them to talk to each other and also write down what the problem might be. ( writing things helps a lot)
    When they are under 5 , they did time out. You sit them down were you can see them both. That is when you start teaching them how to speak to each other.
    As they get older you have to talk and with some kind of punishment. You ask them will what do think your punishment should be? it is funny but they will punish them selfs. Ask them what respect means to them? Because if they do not respect the home,parents and them selfs the will have bigger problems.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2009