Working while pregnant**

I work for a small business so there are no benefits such as sick days, vacation days, days for appointments exc. I am a manager and run my own cellphone store by myself (pretty good for being 19). My schedule is everyday from 10am-7pm with a 30 minute lunch break I have tuesdays off and get 1 saturday a month. 1 day a week I go to the main store which is very busy!! I'm there most the day by myself unless my boss (the store owner) is there I work there from 10-7 and he doesn't allow sitting or resting leaning on things exc. I have to bend down a lot which causes really bad pains in my stomach and back. My boss is steadily on my back (even if Im working 100 mph) saying speed it up and things like that. When I get home my feet & ankles r huge. If I ever call in or leave early for being sick they threaten to take my managment position & my store away from me.. I cant afford to loose this job what do I do! (I'm 5 months preg.)

dixieQT

Asked by dixieQT at 3:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• by law they have to let you take breaks. if you work somewhere for more then 4hours you get are to get a 30min break. they cant not give you a break.
    Anonymous

• She is right... However that is only 1 break per shift not one each 4 hours.

You could talk to your boss and see what can be done if anything. See if there is a way you can temporarily step down. It may be an inconvienience right now but if it saves your job it would be worth it!

I would also say get a belly belt that will help with the pain and make sure you are drinking TONS of water to help keep the swelling down. Make sure you are eathing fruits and veggies to help keep your energy up too.

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree with anon 3:23. You can also get your OB to give your boss a letter stating what you can and can't do. If your boss decides to dicipline you because of this you can report him to your local labor board and have him fined. Good luck. I am 8 months pregnant and had to deal with this with my job(a hotel). I have to stand and bend and was having issues with both until I talked to my OB about the situation.
    Princessstar024

Answer by Princessstar024 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Work for yourself - Fire Your Boss - Don't work for someone the rest of your life!

www.DoctorsMission.com

Anonymous