What would you do (about stealing)?

I took my kids with me to the grocery store this afternoon after I picked them up from school. On our way home, DD (5) fell asleep in the car. When we got home she sort of woke up - enough to walk herself inside. When she got in the house, while I was still outside getting groceries outof the car, she started yelling at me that I made her forget her bag in the car. When I got inside I told her that she is not to talk to me like that and I would get her bag for her later.

Well, I had to go back out about an hour later to take DS to the doctor. While I was buckling him in, I noticed an unopened pack of gum in the floor beside DD's bag. I did not buy it for her.

Obviously, she has stolen this gum. What should I do? I doubt the grocery store would want to take it back after it's been in the floor of my car. She needs to learn her lesson, though.

CrazyMom5480

Asked by CrazyMom5480 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, make her take it back and before you let her talk to the associates you talk to them first. Sometimes people are so stupid and will be like "Oh, it's okay, you can keep it, little girl, don't worry about it." and obviously that is not going to teach her the lesson you want her to learn at all, so make sure the employee(s) are aware of what you are trying to do beforehand. It isn't a big deal though, she really probably didn't have that much of an idea of what she was doing, but it shouldn't be ignored and it is a prime opportunity to teach her about the severity of what occured.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 3:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• regardless, make her take it back and tell them what she did. then make her apologise.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree with SThompson she needs to take it back to the store and apologize to the store manager. It shouldn't matter if it was in your car or in her pocket it's still stealing and she needs to know that isn't acceptable.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree make her give it back and tell the manager she is sorry. I would punish her at home as well. No tv for a few days or something.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You make her take it back, tell the manager what she did, AND make her pay for it out of money she 'earns' by doing chores for you. She may be little, but you catch her now, and she'll learn the lesson sooner, rather than later. After she's paid for the gum, you then throw it away. Period. She doesn't need to be rewarded with the gum after she's stolen it.

Mom_of_7GEMS

Answer by Mom_of_7GEMS at 3:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009