Cable vs. Satellite (Direct TV) Which do you like best? Why?

Wanting real life stories from those who have dealt with Satellite, (Direct TV) to see if I want to really get rid of my cable...Please tell me as much good and bad as you can!

Mom_of_7GEMS

Asked by Mom_of_7GEMS at 3:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Entertainment

• Love cable hate satellite. Nuff said. LOL
    Anonymous

• DIRECT TV SUCKS!! WHEN ITS TOO WINDY OUTSIDE OR RAINING HARD FORGET ABOUT WATCHING TV! THE PICTURE STARTS TO LOOK LIKE A MESSED UP DVD!!!
    tuty2403

Answer by tuty2403 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes, I was going to say as far as the service goes I preferred satellite, but I love not having to worry about the darn weather all the time with cable now. Oh, and I had DishNetwork and DirecTV satellite and I much preferred DishNetwork.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 3:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree, the satellite went out all the time during a storm. We now have cable and love it!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We have Direct TV. I think I would get it even just because of the menu and guide. It is very interactive and easy to find what shows are on and what they are about. You can search for programs with the search feature, you can see what is on several days ahead. It is very convenient. My mother has cable and is always complaining that the cable is down. Satellite reception stops briefly during heavy rain or snow, but otherwise is pretty reliable. A month ago for the first time we had ice on the receiving area on the roof and didn't have reception for about 6 hours.

Answer by Bmat at 4:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I haven't tried satelitte but my parents have it. They live out in the middle of nowhere so it's their only option, but they are happy with it (Direct TV). I HATE HATE HATE Comcast!!!!!!!!!!! If you have Comcast ANYTHING would be better.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have DishNetwork and have never had a problem with it. It goes out if it's storming really badly, but that's about it. I don't like DirecTV and Comcast Cable is the devil =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We have cable (Time Warner). Don't hate it, don't love it. But it's the only one we've found that let's us have an unlimited number of TV hooked up.
    We don't have Comcast here but they are SOOOOO bad that we have HEARD of them here.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Living in FL - I love FiOS (or cable) svc

Satellite, aside from charging extra for local stations, will cut out during a storm when you want/need to be watching the news or weather channel
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have Directv and everytime there is a bad storm it goes out. My inlaws have Dish Network and that is tons better.
    LND

Answer by LND at 1:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2009