Single, Working Mom...

I feel like the worst mom ever right now. I am in the military. Currently I work two days then two night then I have two days off. When I work nights, I have to take my son to daycare so I can get a few hours of sleep and then when I go to work he is with a babysitter. I try to spend as much time as I can with him, but I wish I had more. I don't get around to doing housework until my days off. I keep trying to push it aside until he naps, so I can have more time with him. What special things can we do together during my off days? I started taking him to the swings since that used to be one of my favorite things to do as a child. He always smiles when he sees me, but is this going to affact him later on?

Mary_CoreysMom

Asked by Mary_CoreysMom at 3:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It won't affect him. It sounds like you are doing the absolute best that you can. And when you aren't with him, you are working or resting. It is not like you are leaving him to go party. Just continue spending as much time with him as possible. And as long as you are tuned in and giving him love and attention then it is special time. No need to do anything special.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Thank you. That really makes me feel better.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 3:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It's not really about how much time you spend with him but the quality of the time you spend together. If all you do when you are off is housework and you don't do much with him, then yes, it will create a bad relationship. But remember, it's okay to let housework go sometimes. Don't stress about that. Just enjoy the time you have with your son. Growing up, my father was always working and I blamed that for the reason I couldn't stand him. I felt like he was never there for me. But the older I got, the more I realized the truth. When he was home, he didn't spend it with me. He was working in the yard or fixing something. Spend as much time with your son as you can and things will get better.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• First...THANK YOU!!!! Our family is a big fan of our military, whether we believe in what is going on or not.

It sounds like you are doing just fine as far as your son goes. It really doesn't matter what you are doing with your son when you are with him, just that you are with him. Needing a few hours of alone time to sleep does not make you the worse mom...it makes you human. One of the most important things to when taking care of your son is to make sure you are taking care of yourself too!
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009