How do you get a child that isn't interested in potty traning to get interested?I know he is physically ready but mentally he isn't.

My Toddler is 2yr's 10months and has no interest in starting potty traning. I've tried reading to him on the potty, a elmo potty video, a potty chart with rewards, purchasing his handy Manny undies that he will wear but won't take off to use the potty. It takes alot to get him to even get in the bathroom and sit on the potty. Is there anyone that has other idea's out there?

khaglund

Asked by khaglund at 3:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't ask him if he has to go, just tell him it is potty time and take him on a regular schedule of every 40-60 minutes. Have something in the bathroom that truly excites and motivates him! He only gets that item when he is sitting on the potty. Have him sit for awhile, not just jump up after 1 minute. When you take him on a schedule regularly, he will eventually go and then you will praise him loudly and proudly, do a happy dance, reward him whatever gets him excited. You might also put targets in the potty for him to hit when he pees, cheerios or drops of food coloring that will expand when he pees on them. If none of these things work then maybe he isn't really ready. He just has to have success in the beginning so that he gets into it! Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• He may not be ready. Boys take a bit longer. Try re-introducing it every 3-6 months. you do not want to make the potty aversive, then he might start acting out negetively toward the potty. Like peeing in weird places, and hiding to do his doodie

vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Has anything major happened in his life in the last year like a death, divorce, moved, marriage?? My daughter is almost 3 1/2 she was almost fully potty trained twicw before.. the last time she was my Mom died it's been almost a yr and she is just back to wearing panties but still having a few B
    LEXIESMOM78

Answer by LEXIESMOM78 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Wait til he's ready! Everyone bugged me and bugged me and bugged me about pushing my DD to start on the potty...she'll be 4 in July and we just started maybe a month ago and she only had accidents the first two days and not one since; we still have to work on nap and night time but during the day she's got it down; why because I waited til she was ready.

We had a potty and we had a toilet insert and every week or two I'd take her in and ask her if she'd like to try using one or the other; esp when she'd wake up from a nap dry or something...she'd always say no; until one day she just said yes and she's been going ever since...2 yrs is early still I wouldn't rush it =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I let mine put a sailboat sticker on his potty chair every time he went potty. Take the child to the potty every 2 hours.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2009