What can I feed my 2 year old?

I live with the in-laws so all together there are 6 of us including the baby. No one ever cooks and I do not have money to be cooking for 6 every night!! Any suggestions on what to make that is fresh and yummy for the little one? The rest of us can suffer lol!

caidencesmom

Asked by caidencesmom at 4:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would prepare dinner and tell them if they want to eat then they better buy food.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The should eat everything. Their palette is conformable  at this time so try to develop some healthy eating habits like lots of fresh cooked veggies, grains, and proteins from non-fatty source.

vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My 2-and-a-half year old daughter is picky--or tries to be. She's also really into playing pretend and playing different roles. Lately she's into the whole princess deal, which ties nicely to my love of cooking. Every afternoon, we show her a map of the world and point out a country. Then we give her a few fun facts and show her pics of the country. (Gotta love Google!) By lesson's end she's usually pretty amped to pretend she's an Indian princess in the Taj Mahal or an English princess in Buckingham Palace. She doesn't even mind that some of the royal foods are veggies, as long as they're colorful. LOL It's really fun, and has taken a LOT of the stress out of planning meals. And ever so often we just say, "Brooke, tonight you're a little girl in Alabama who's getting a happy Meal." She's become a pretty healty, adventurous eater so far. We don't get NEARLY as much static.
    LadyNicole

Answer by LadyNicole at 5:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You can feed your child mixed veggies or green beans for $.60 a can (and there will be enough for you, too.) A child needs protein daily, so either meat (the less processed the better) or peanut butter sandwich is fine occasionally. Most kids love mac-n-cheese - you can buy the fast mac and just make enough for you.
    Sounds like you need some reality on the living / cooking situation though. My SIL has worked out where certain family members are responsible for dinner on such-and-such days.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 5:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• He can eat pretty much anything you can eat, so I would start cooking for yourself and your toddler. And then when the baby is ready for table foods you just cook for three.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon, you need to start cooking for yourself and your toddler. In the mean time, a family meeting to figure out shopping/cooking may be in order but perhaps have your SO take the lead on that one since it's his/her family.

Your LO should have protein, grains/cereals, fruits, vegetables, and dairy every day. Consult with your pediatrician regarding a daily, multi vitamin as well. Canned fruits/veggies as well as frozen are economical and fine. Buying whatever fresh fruit is in season will also be more economical. A little chicken or hamburger are good for protein. Yogurt, whole milk, cheese are good dairy items to choose. A simple meal to prepare would be: cut up some apple, cheese, and ham or turkey, throw in some steamed veggies, and a slice of whole wheat toast or a bit of pita bread and you've got a nice, balanced meal. Don't forget a nice glass of milk.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If you want to do fresh I would just make enough for you and the kids. I'm sure your inlaws understand that you can't afford to feed them all! Make things like green beans, baked chicken and carrots or stuff like that is inexpensive and tastes good. Spagetti is a cheap but healthy meal too that kids like. Or make a homemade pizza with fresh veggies on it. But Gerber makes little individual meals (they're on the baby food isle) for toddlers and they're like a buck a piece. They are balanced and inexpensive and none goes to waste. Its a thought!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009