Hard to get 1 year old to nap...

My son gets sleepy and cranky about 1030am starts rubbing his eyes etc. But when I put him down after reading some books I turn on music and put his favorite stuffed animal in the crib he cries and cries and some days he will fall asleep some days he wont even though I have him on a schedule that is not crazy strick but it is fairly consistent. Any advice?

proudtxmom22

Asked by proudtxmom22 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son quit napping around that age. i couldnt get him to nap so we just quit.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If he's cranky and rubbing his eyes, it's too late. You've missed the "magic window" and he has entered the "overtired zone". When a young child gets overtired, their body's release adrenaline - the same stuff that floods you when someone tries to mug you or you are in a car wreck. So it makes sense that he can't/won't sleep.
    Try putting him down half an hour earlier. Do not eliminate the nap. All that will do is make it impossilbe for his to sleep at night. I suggest you get a copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Like kaycee14 I followed Healthy Sleep Habits. You LO should be ready to nap two hours after waking. So, if he's up at 7, he's ready for a nap at 9. If he naps from 9-11, the next nap is at 1p.m.

He may be ready to drop the morning nap between 13 and 15 mos of age.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about Healthy Sleep Habits or dropping the a.m. nap.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Some give it up even earlier than 13 months. My daughter started refusing the afternoon, not morning, nap around 11 months so we switched to one nap only, around noon. She seemed young for that, but we went with it and it worked, and we were all much happier!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2009