how to get a three year old to behave

I watch my friends son while she works and i need help. He is out of control. No punishment works for him wether it be a spanking or yelling or even timeout and taking toys away. What else can be done? I feel its a lost cause.

h3ath3r19

Asked by h3ath3r19 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel for you... Not sure because this would make me second guess having him around my own kids...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I know how you feel I have a 3 year old son. I did the samething on the punishment with him and nothing worked. So I started watching him on the things he like to do. Like watching cartoons,kids movies,playing outside and on the computer. So when he started to act up I would take away his favorite thing to do(cartoons). He wouldn't have them for a day and if he still act up I would up the punishment to two days. Give this a try and let me know if this works. GOOD LUCK!
    SignMaker1

Answer by SignMaker1 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Nothing worked for me either until I really, really enforced time outs. Once he knew what my expectations were I give him immediate time outs (3 minutes in the naughty corner). I used to have to hold him down. Now I just set the egg timer and in the corner he goes. He hates it, but does it. This really curbed his behavior the last 6 months. Hope this helps!
    jkmom2007

Answer by jkmom2007 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Children this age do really well with routines and consistency...He needs to know the rules and the consequences for not following them. A reward system works very effectively. Create a Behavior Sheet ...good behavior earns a sticker of their choice and inappropriate behavior they lose a sticker. After 5 stickers or whatever amount you decide, there is a prize given. Be sure that when a behavior is identified as not appropriate you explain why....example...We do not hit. YOU could hurt someone. I hope this will help in some way.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2008