Renewing Wedding Vows?

I have been married 17 yrs. seems I hear a lot of people renewing their vows these days.
What are some reasons that people renew their wedding vows?

(ps. I'm not interested in renewing my vows, just wondered why people do it. )

Kiter

Asked by Kiter at 4:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I would love to go back to Amsterdam and renew vows on our 10th (this year). Why? Because I love the dude and after the Baby Train pulled out of the station, it's been all about the kids, which is cool, that's the way it should be, but spending some just-us time doing something to celebrate the fact that in spite of all the shenanigans in the world, we've held up our end.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I wanted to do it this year and it will only be our 5th, we concider that a milestone for this day in age lol with so many divorces happening and people marrying for the wrong reasons.

To me I could remarry him everyday, no our relationship isn't perfect, yes we fight, we have our ups and downs but truthfully noone is more perfect for me than him. He is what makes me, he is the perfect man to father my children, he is who stole my heart!
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 4:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We want to do it because we didn't have a big wedding. We had a closed door ceremony with just the paster and some random witnesses. Our family was really hurt that they were not included. We had been together for years and just wanted to make it official. Now we do feel bad about the whole thing and want to renew them later on to include our family and friends.
    Anonymous

• My dh and I want to re-new our vows for our 25th because it is a special way to celebrate a special anniversary.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Ben and I want to renew our vows because we didn't have a big wedding. It was just the two of us. So we want to celebrate with all our family and friends. Plus I like partying, and take any excuse I can to dress up and get down! lol
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would love for us to renew our vows someday- rather than an actual 'wedding' I would want it to be just the people who 'matter'... dh and I and our kids standing on a beach someplace. I guess for me it would be a way of saying that we would marry each other all over again.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would like to renew our vows, but when we've been together for a long time ... I think it's ridiculous when people renew after 3 years, ya know? I'm thinking around 30-50 years of marriage would be a good time to renew ... kids are out of the house and your retiring, GOOD TIMES!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• ap9902- In this economy, I'm not sure how much Good Times it'll be with retirement and no longer having 3 dependants and getting the tax return for having kids...
    LOL

I'm not a romantic at all, You know when yoou hear the wife ask the husband why he never says "I Love you" and he says "I said it when I maried you. If I change my mind, I'll let you know"

anyway- that's more mindset. I'm just not all that romantic or emotional (Mushy). So I have no desire to renew my vows, I meant them the first time I said them and wanted to get eloped & not have a wedding to deal with in the first place.

But I can understand that some people do want that. just was never sure exactly why.
    Thanks for the answers-
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• we were planning on it for our 25th. we eloped . if we would have been able to for our 20th the kids would have been involved & it would have been nice.
    sadly i won't get too now. i really miss him.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 6:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We will be doing it for our 20th or 25th anniversary since our wedding got screwed up by my mom.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2009