Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Severe toothache

One of my molars is causing me severe pain. the whole back of it is gone and there is a big hole in it. There is also a smaller hole in the front part of it. It is swollen and has risen up? and I now can shut my mouth all the way. The tooth is loose but I cant wiggle it out. It is causing me horrible pain and I am having trouble swallowing because of it and breathing. My question is, if I go to the ER for this will they be able to help me at all?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Health

Answers (11)
  • There is probably infection in it. They might give you antibiotics. Why not just go to a dentist and have it pulled?

    Answer by NannyB. at 5:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • hmmm... i assume you don't have insurance? my guess is that they MIGHT give you a few pain pills once they see that you have reason to be in pain, or they might just give you strong tylenol...but if you're asking if they will pull your tooth out - I don't think so. I don't believe that an ER will do any dental work. they might be able to refer you to a dentist that takes people without insurance (maybe allows payment plans or something...). that's a tough one.

    Answer by stepmom929 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Dentist...and this late in the day....They will pull it and pack it to prevent a dry socket and give ya some pain medicine. Call one soon!

    Answer by heavenschild99 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Yeah I have not gone to the dentist because I dont have insurance. But this is getting really back. Im seriously having trouble breathing. And I can barely eat anything because of it. They really wouldnt pull it for me? I mean I cant find a dentist in my area that even takes payment plans let alone uninsured people. So idk what to do. But this is getting super bad. Its swelling so much that my cheek is swelling out. It looks horrible. And there is some nasty tasting stuff in it. It hurts so bad!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • You have an absessed tooth and you need to take antibiotics ASAP! Dentists will not pull it until the infection is gone. Call your county health dept and see if they can help.

    Answer by JanMarie225 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Yeah but I would really rather go to the ER. All dentists and doctors are closed all ready. And I dont know if I can deal with this much longer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Is there atleast something I could do for now at home until I can get to the dentist?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • The er will not pull a tooth, but they will start you on an antibiotic that you need NOW!! Never mess around with an infected tooth, they are very dangerous. They should give you something for pain till you see the dentist in the morning, but it wont help if you dont start the antibiotic right away. Nothing hurts like a toothache. Good luck, I hope everything works out.

    Answer by dorishdsn1974 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Go to the ER if this is the best choice for you, or what about an urgent care center. You need care right away. A tooth infection can affect your whole body.

    Answer by Bmat at 9:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • There may be an emergency number for a dentist. If you have a regular dentist , call that number and see if there is a backup dentist for emergencies, or a number you can call for help.

    Answer by Bmat at 9:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.