Call for autopsy to unravel tragedy of stillbirth?

Dr.'s are calling for autopsies on still born babies to help them figure out what s going on and if they can prevent it in the future. I think this is a good idea! I m/c at 13 weeks and tho I am sure they wouldn't have been able to figure out the cause, I don't think they did enough to figure out the cause. So my next pregnancy was miserable as a worried the entire way through! I have a healthy baby boy now, but will not try again, it's just too difficult.

Maybe if they do these they can figure out a way to prevent this from happening AND lead healthier pregnancies. Some OB's don't want to frighten preg women by bringing this up and so when it happens women are generally too distraught to be ok with it. What do you think, good idea or bad? Brought up in routine dr visit or only if it happens?

http://mobile.mediacomtoday.com/news/politics.php?display=story&article=D96M3RA00&pd=20090302

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should be brought up in a regular visit as part of the birth plan for each woman so that it is not sprung on them in time of grief. I wouldn't make it mandatory, but available to those who would like to participate. I personally would like to know that my tragedy could help prevent the death of another child. It's a great idea, but not one that should be forced onto every woman that has a stillbirth....and I also think that even if consented to, the autopsy should be delayed until the parents have sufficient time to hold, comfort and take pictures (such as have Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep come in) and then have it done.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 6:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I should have said that Emmy. They allow at least 7 hrs for the parents to say goodbye! OMG, it makes me tear up to even think about it!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree, this is a good idea.

But are you opposed to the government funding more of this research?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My sister miscarried almost 4 yrs ago at 12weeks and they did an autospy and found out she had Turner's Syndrome. We were glad they did it and she was also given the option of having her buried which she did.
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 6:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Oh okay, that is a good amount of time. :) I'd hate to have to go through it, but I would want as much good to come out of it as possible. And if it meant having an autopsy, then fine. It would help ease some of my pain I think. Plus, if they found something, then I could know what to watch for next pregnancy.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 6:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Maybe I am missing something, but don't they already do this? I lost a baby late term and they did an autopsy - no one even asked me - but they gave me the results at the follow up doc visit.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• And heatherama, I am not opposed to government funding of this research. More good than harm will come out of it, I think. Anything to save babies, I'll fund with my taxes forever!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 6:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree with you, Emmy.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I don't think it is always done and I am for this government funded or not as I am a proud supporter and participant in March of Dimes.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think its a really good idea... if they could take my child who was a stillbirth and learn what happend and can prevent it from happening to anyone else, i am all for it...

i agree... the governement funds much more unimportant things....this could save childrens life's so pay for it by any means...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2009