Big Government?

I have an honest question about Republicans. I don't mean this as an attack or to start sh@t. Just always wondered.

I always here Republicans saying how they are anti "big government" and that Democrats are for "big government". But it seem as if the Republicans are the side that wants to make abortion illegal, change the constitution to ban gay marriage and basically want to make and enforce morality laws. Isn't that big government?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How is that big government? Big government is about making government programs and madating money for every little thing. It is about governing every aspect of ones lives. Banning gay marriage is more of a conservative way of thinking but they aren't trying to change the law right now that is the law, democrats supposedly according to your question are truly the ones trying to change laws.
    Anonymous

• I bet you voted Obama solely on the fact you think he's going to wave a magic wand and make gay marriage legal all around.
    Anonymous

• Did someone say magic wand...Obama
    Anonymous

• Actually there are different kinds of republicans. For instance former president bush was socially and fiscally a huge LIBERAL! On national defense he was conservative. Some republicans are conservative on both. I don't like to define with republican or democrat but liberal or conservative in various areas.

If you want consistency across "get your govt hands out of my pockets and lives" go to the liberatarian party www.lp.org They want the government OUT of government, OUT of our pockets and are conservative in family matters as well.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 7:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes, OP I too am confused when some say they are against 'Big Government,' when they are for the things you mentioned.

Anons, your comments are pretty funny seeing as how the only peope who think Obama is "magical" are those on the right, not the left.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Most Conservative Republicans believe it should be left in the hands of the STATE to decide these things, NOT the Federal Government. As for me personally, I believe that tax dollars should not fund abortions beyond the limits of the Hyde Ammendment,
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• As for same sex marriage. I would have to say that again, most believe it is up to the state to decide, not the Federal Government.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• heather please explain the people at his town hall meetings who asked him to fix all their problems?
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 9:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Well, I guess it got deleted. I miss my magic wand, anon.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Exactly grlygrlz
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2009