shock collars

i love my little dog. i am not lazy. i have tried every bit of advise i could get, but my little dog is still a runner and un housebroken. now i can not afford dog skool. but i can afford a shock collar. IF YOU HAVE USED ONE, please respond

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I have one for my rambunctious lab. I think I've only had to use it once. All I have to do now, is just put it on her and it mellows her right out.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I used on on my basset and she shook for over an hour. Don't use it!!
    Anonymous

• i wanted to use one on my dog, but she actually has gotten better before we resulted to that. what i wanna know is, how can you afford a shock collar but not doggy classes? i couldnt find a collar any cheaper than a couple of hundred bucks for my dog. i know i could pay for classes with that money
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i dont get how you can afford a collar but not classes...my dog went to dog school at petsmart, and it was like..$120 and a collar was closer to 200......mind-you neither worked on my dog..lol..i have a golden ret, and the shock collar didnt even make him flinch...i thought maybe it didnt work..so i tested it out on myself..hahahaha ohh yaaa it worked..lol..i guess i shoudve shaved my dogs neck so it got closer to his skin..but..whatever, with time he learned..good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Lol the previous posters asked the same question I was about to ask.....How can you afford the collar ad not classes?? My pup starts in 2 weeks and it's only 85 bucks, shock collars are much more then that. Maybe you should check around for more affordable classes. Really learning to train your dog is probably the best bet for you both, plus it will give you the time to bond and your pup will respect you. I have had highly trained dogs (you must work with them reguarly) and nothing beats that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I used one to train my Saint bernard and it worked wonders... dont put it on a high level and he he wont shake... puppy school is alot cheaper though, I did both, they helped teach me how to use the coller right, good luck
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 10:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• the skools in my neck of pa are priced at about 120-280$ but the classes are two , three towns away and i dont drive. the shock collar is $50. used from a freind of a small dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Is he/she still a puppy? Give he/she some time...and ya at petsmart classes are under $150...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 11:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• A shock collar can be an effective tool if used properly and not abused. For those really smart or stubborn dogs, it can literally be a lifesaver.

The advantage it has is that the dog associates it's behavior with the correction and not you. If you reprimand a dog for doing something, it's just going to do it when you are not around. If the dog receives a shock for doing something, (like going in the trash), it is going to associate that behavior with the unpleasant experience instead. Making him much more reluctant to do it when you are not right there to catch him.

This also works with dogs that get a certain distance away from you and "go deaf" because they think you can't correct them. They quickly learn that your reach is a lot longer than they thought!

But again, like I said. A shock collar is a tool. To be used correctly, and in conjuction with consistent training. The need for it should be short-term.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• what breed of dog are you talking about?
    Anonymous