i need to pull my son out of school asap

i need to pull my son out of school asap! he has been doing horrible in school the teachers say they don't think he knows what it means to be a student and he doesn't care about if he turns in his work so my husband and i thought this would work that one or both of us will be with him everyday and home school him he is a 10th grader and he has lost 4 credits so since 9th grade i fear that when he becomes a senior he will not have enough credits to graduate anyway. and if he does good at home through his junior year can i re enroll him so he graduates with his class or do i just keep him out the whole time.

busymama500

Asked by busymama500 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You know your child best and if that is what you think you should do then do it! GL

BTW, I was home schooled for 6 yrs and graduated a year ahead of my class.....as did my sister.
    Anonymous

• don't take this the wrong way - but are you really prepared to home school a high school student? I totally understand your wanting to do what's best for your son, but make sure you know exactly what you need to do to properly home school before you pull your son out of school. You need to also get down to the bottom of what his real problem is...he may have a learning disorder or something.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Why should you home school him? You should let him know that he needs to get his act together and do good in school! Start punishing him for it hell come around. Your the adult here. I know you want whats best but honestly I dont think homeschooling is the best. HAve you thought about getting him a tutor or summer school.. There are a lot of better options out there!
    Anonymous

• my mom pulled me out of school in 10th grade i wasnt doing good at all, i just homeschooled and ended up graduating 6 months early.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If he is already being defiant about school homeschooling him is going to be h*** on you. My suggestion is to go to school with him! Give him one grading period to pull his grades up to an acceptable level, with him knowing good grades everyone is happy. Now for the kicker bad grades you attend school with him, he still does all the work but you go to his classes with him to insure he pays attention, takes notes, and completes all classwork. You do none of the work for him while you are in class with him, you read a book, write letters, knit, whatever can do without disrupting the classes he needs to work in. He will be sure to pull his grades up because who wants their mom with them at school? You will get to know his teachers and friends I promise it will not take more than one grading period for you to get your message across and if there is a problem you are not aware of it will come to light and you can work on it.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• you know your son. do what you think is best for him and good luck with whatever you do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• One year of homeschool made my son appreciate school much more. I don't mean it was hell, he just had a chance to miss his classmates.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 2:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• There is a lot of information left out of your post; however, you have some issues to address. Work on what causes him to "not be a good student". If it is behavior, it will not improve at home. Fix that first. Use "Outward Bound" camps in the area, therapy, intervention or something. Then, if he can, get into something that offers an Early College type program at your local community college if possible. If you truly feel home schooling is the best option, you need to do your research and make sure you are prepared to meet your state's standards for that. It is a lot of work and takes a lot of focus on both your parts. It has to be viewed as an alternate choice not as a "ditch" or a way to avoid an issue. The issue will still be there.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2009