How much does our country contribute?

How much does the USA contribute to global warming? It seems that the US and a few other countries have really stepped up to the plate as far as taking responsibility for polution and our impact on the planet. This being said, I believe our country as a whole is one of the cleanest on the planet, considering the amount of industry we have. So why haven't Mexico, Middle eastern countries, and China done their part? How do we apply the same guilt techniques to other countries to get them to 'clean up their acts?'
I don't really buy global warming, but I want to be the most responsible human I can, so I do what I can to not waste.
What about countries that burn their trash? I know there are still places in the US that allow you to burn trash (as long as there is not a 'no burn' warning during dry or drought).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just wanted to clarify that "everyone doing their part," means the whole "Global Warming" bandwagon (which is a farce) should not rest squarely on the US's shoulders. We are regulated to death when it comes to saving the planet, but every step forward we take, some undeveloped country sets us back 100!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I don't know that there is any real reason why those countries are able to "pollute at will" without repercussions, except to say that they are probably considered developing countries (yes even China!)?!

Or maybe because the Middle East (Saudis) and China pretty much OWN us, that they don;t have to play by the rules?!

I agree, though that they SHOULD be required (perhaps by the UN?! lol) to do their part in protecting the planet and using its finite resources wisely.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Many credible scientists do no agree that global warming is that big a deal.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• OMG must be don't SAY that!!!!! It means you are ignorant and stupid...even if you CAN back it up with a link that no one will read while they continue to call you ignorant!!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Because we are SO afraid we are going to offend someone, or kill a mouse, or an ant, or a bird, that we buy into every bit of propaganda that says we are all the children of the devil.

America sure didn't get to where it is today being afraid to offend.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Should be bomb them into submission? Other than war we really cannot make them do anything. Do your part and hope it helps.
    Anonymous

• So true lovingangels.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Does anyone on here understand "cap and trade"? That pretty much sums up how the US manufactoring co. and other industrialized nations get away with emitting pollutants
    They "buy" their way out of it.
    http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2008/01/capandtrade101.html
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• And for the record~I am on the fence of "climate change".. This is where my hippy mom has be thinking out possbilities.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• In my opinion, the jury is still out on climate change. I think that too many people with vested interests in making us believe that we are bad for the planet have too big a hand in the enviro argument. It's hard to take Pelosi or Gore seriously when they refuse to practice what they preach.
    We are guilted by being bombarded by endless media attention (movies, studies, theories, etc.) on evironmental impact studies that so called experts point to our daily activities as the source of the problem. I find that premature and arrogant.
    Anonymous