Should I get rid of my landline phone?

I am a single mom to an 8 month old. I have a landline phone that I pay $40/month for, but no one ever calls me (except for bill collectors). I am thinking about getting rid of it, and just using my prepaid cell phone instead. What do you think? I just don't think it makes sense (money-wise) to pay for a landline phone that I rarely use.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I ditched mine for the same reason about 3 years ago. Haven't missed it at all.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You need to find out first if you can still make an emergency call to 911 on your landline telephone if you do not have active service.
    In a power outage, cell phones probably won't work. An old fashioned corded landline phone will. Some companies will still let a 911 call go through even when the service is disconnected, some won't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i haven't had a landline in 6 years and it works for me!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I wish I could get rid of mine..but...we don't get good cell reception inside the house, and we have way, way too many power outages.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• There is one thing that is stopping me from getting rid of our landline.....in 2004 we were hit by some pretty hefty hurricanes. We had no power, no gas and no cell service. The cell service was knocked out for everyone, we couldn't call out at all, nobody could no matter what company they had service with. But our landline worked. We needed it too, thank goodness it worked.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Ya, you don't need it. If you need to make a phone call, just use Magic Jack.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2009