When's the best age to take kids to NYC?

I want them to appreciate all the sites we'll see. Did you go? What were your kids' favorite things to do/see while you were there?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 7:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Travel

• Iced hot chocolate at Serendipity, carriage rides through Central Park, FAO, shopping in Chinatown for older kids (like tweens and up)....I'd avoid taking kids who are too old for a stroller but not up to lots of walking.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don't know an exact age, I think it varies but make sure they don't mind doing A LOT of walking!!! Maybe a good age would be around 8 or 9?? I have a 6 year old and I know he would not enjoy all the walking.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We have traveled with our kids since they were small, 4 or 5 years old. We've not really been to NY except for a 8 hour layover when we rented a car and drove around there for a bit. But we have traveled to many places where a lot of walking is necessary (small towns and large towns in Spain) and they never minded the walking if we found little interesting things to do. I can honestly say at that age, they really enjoyed all the sights and the things we did, and they still remember most of them to this day. If your kids are 4 or younger, take a stroller along so that they can be pushed if they do get tired. It will make the trip more peaceful!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• we went for the first time last September. My girls were 13 and 14 then. they still did a lot of whining!!! Definately wait until they are older(ish)
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009