Can meditation help you?

My boyfriend is bi-polar and we will be doing really good as a couple when all of a sudden he will shut me out. The last time this happened, I called and he treated me like crap asking why I was even calling. I was calling because we made plans and when I talked to him, he blew them off. We are now taking a break so he can get into the practice of meditation again because he says that it will help him and we will eventually be happy. Can it really help? Should I even wait around for him? It's already been 10 days since I have seen him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think meditation can help in some ways and some people who are bi-polar can control themselves with out the need of meds, it sounds to me that your bf cannot do this, either that or he is using his disease as an easy out of the relationship.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I am Bi-Polar and can tell you from expierience it DOES help! It helps you to clear your mind of all the Crap going on in there and focus. Which is really important for us bi-polar people.

I would recommend you do a little reading - Check out BiPolar Disorder for Dummies. I just bought it for my hubby. It might help YOU understand what he's dealing with and help you to help him too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It depends. Meditation can certainly help someone with BPD, but it may not be enough. Many people with BPD need to have medication to regulate their hormone levels in the brain. It's NOT a weakness, it's a real disease and it is no more his fault than high blood sugar is the fault of the diabetic. Both have non-medication possibilities for control, but both also need to recognize that if the holistic route isn't controlling their medical condition, then medication may be a necessary evil.

Keep in mind, I'm NOT saying meditation won't work for your BF. I'm just sounding a note of caution that it may not work. We have a LOT of BPD in my family. I'm a mild BP (mostly depressive, but I do have my manic moments where I'll mop a ceiling) and I'm NOT on Depakote or other BPD meds ... I AM on SSRI/SNRI antidepressants and they ARE needed for me to be "normal".
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• To tell the truth I do not know much about the disorder... but I have read where meditation can help along with their medication that is taken... I would cover ALL of your aves... and talk with bf about your concerns...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i really don't know anything about it
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Know several people..One I'm thinking of right now...He is fine as long as he takes his medicine. Perhaps the above poster that is BP can give you more advice. This man and his wife and child live with his parents...not a good thing. He gets to a point where he thinks medicine isn't needed and just stops taking them.. Can be pretty abusive at times...Just a word of warning. Read up...
    Anonymous

• OK first and most important no bipolar is not his fault, BUT it's NOT your fault! I have it I take Meds and mediated it dose help alot so dose exercise but everyone is missing the big pitcher here YOU DESERVE BETTER!!!!!! No one for any reason has the right to treat you like that!
    one_texas_son

Answer by one_texas_son at 10:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• yes medication helps people that have bi-polar but it varies on the degree that they have it. My daughter's father is Bi-polar, as well as my mom, and my brother, and his girlfriend.. while my brother isn't on medication because he's more manic depressive than bi-polar, his GF is and needs to be.

However, medication for mental disorders doesn't work like cold medications... look at it like birth control.. if you are just start out on bc for the first time, or again after a month or twos time off of it.. you need to give it a month before practicing unprotected sex because it needs time to readjust the chemicals in your body. Bi-polar medication works in similar ways, it needs time to readjust the chemicals in his body.. which could take up to a month in a halves time before it's fully affective.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• oh... you said meditation, not medication. lmao. big diff. lol, yes it can if used properly, however sometimes medication is need for more sever cases, and if you think that it's not working for him, then suggest medication for him. If he won't get more help that you believe is needed, then yes you probably are better off leaving him. sorry about the mix up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes.... meditation is beneficial to anyone who uses it.

Is it going to 'fix' him? No, not by a long shot.

He needs to combine meditation with medication.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2009