What is a good age to start going to the dentist?

and what is a good tip on picking the right one before hand??

Brandy8308

Asked by Brandy8308 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My dentist said 2 yrs. old or as soon as they have several teeth. She also said "a screaming mouth is an open mouth" LOL, I thought that was really funny.
    I would ask around to other moms in your area and see who they would recommend, definitely go with someone that works with or works exclusively with kids.
    Anonymous

• That's up to the dentist. They start them at an age. Both of mine have started at 3
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 7:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• they should go when they get the majority of their baby teeth. Some will say around a year old but my 18 month doesn't have all her teeth so the dentist suggested to wait until she was two. My advice is to see a family dentist. That way you all know and see the same person.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Call and ask the dentist what their policy is. My dentist told me that he had the children come in at 2 to have their teeth "counted" (and see that it wasn't scary and so forth) and at three for their first real visit. As far as picking a good one, you could interview them, but there might be a fee for that, you can get recommendations from other parents.

Answer by Bmat at 7:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My dentist said between 2 and 3. They also said that I could bring him in for a pre visit where he could sit in the chair and meet the dentist and see all of the equipment. Then I could schedule a real visit. They said that helps minimize a little bit of the stress and gets them a little more familiar with the strange surroundings.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Mine said 3.
    How to pick a good one? Ask other mothers. If your little one has friends who have older brothers and sisters, ask their mom. If you don't know any moms to ask, ask one the next time you are in line at the grocery store.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My dentist told me 1 year. He said you want to get them use to sitting in the chair and use to the stuff in the office.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• A good dentist will tell you to have your child seen by one year old. There are a few reasons for this. 1) you want them used to the dentist, and to have their first visit a friendly, relaxing visit. 2) You want to be able to catch any problems before they start, so you can avoid them altogether, if possible. (If you wait until 3, it's possible that the damage to teeth is already done). I'm sure there's other reasons, but those were the main ones.
    I brought mine in before they were a year, and before they had any teeth. The dentist will show you how to brush even then (we learned that brushing their gums helps massage, and helps gets them used to brushing so when they have teeth, it's not a fight!)
    I have 4 kids, and only one with one cavity--so we're not doing *so* bad!
    Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 6:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I sent my daughter to the dentist when she was 3. She cried because they had her sit with this cleaning try to her teeth for 2 minutes and it scared her but I prepared her for it for days in advance which helped alot. I used my sisters kids dentist.
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 7:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My doc, DD's pedi, and my husbands dentist all said one year. So we took dd in at one year. She wouldn't open her mouth, but dentist gave us lots of info and tips for brushing and things to watch for. So still a worth while trip. He also encouraged use to put our fingers in her mouth often so she wouldn't be so afraid next time for him.
    Anonymous