What do you do when your baby falls and hits their head?

DS is pulling up and I was taking a bath while DH was in the living room talking to my dad and watching him. He was holding on to the side of the couch and fell and hit the front of his head. There is no bruising or signs of injury physically but he has been crying and whining a lot since then but then again he was fussy prior to that too. He's been not so happy today but he was worse after he hit his head.
I've heard all babies will do it and it's normal as long as they don't appear or seem to be in pain but I don't even know if he is crying because of that or because of something else. Is there anything serious that can happen if a baby bumps their head? It was on carpet.
Would you take them to the doctor or ER for it or wait and see if it's something like teething, constipation or visible signs of an ear ache? I gave him some baby Tylenol because I thought it might be a head ache from the fall.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ill tell you like my mom always told me.... as long as the bump is coming out not sinking in they are fine... LOL it sounds to me like you baby is ok! im not a dr just a mommy and i wouldnt worry about it.. just keep a good eye on him for the next few hrs. if he seems confused or extra clumsy then maybe call the dr but otherwise.. save the long trip.. you have many many bumps and falls to come =]
    gottalovemyboys

Answer by gottalovemyboys at 8:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Keep him awake for a while, and I'd get him up in the middle of the night. Just to make sure you can. Also look at the pupils in his eyes- the dark opening, they should be the same size.

Answer by Bmat at 8:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Depends on how hard he fell. I would make sure he doesn't fall asleep for at least 2 hours after the fall. My DD 3.5 a week before thanksgiving was playing on the stairs after us telling her over and over again to stop playing on them and she wouldn't listen well she fell down them and split her head open. We took her to the ER because we didn't know what to do they put staples in her head. She had them in for 2 weeks. Other than the screaming all she was doing is yawning and wanting to fall asleep so we made her stay awake. You don't want them to fall asleep incase of a concussion.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Signs of concussion: lethargy, vomiting, slurred speech. If none of these, you can still keep them awake to be sure, but it should be fine. I know this because when our daughter fell head first down the stairs, we called our doctor. Really, whenever you have a question like this, it's a question for your doctor and not an online discussion group! At any hour of the day there's a nurse or physician standing by who can advise you in case of doubt. You don't have to risk it, and you don't even have to make an unnecessary trip to the emergency room just to see.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009