My 15 month Son Refuses to sleep in his crib

My son refuses to sleep in his crib and I think mainly because he is a sleep mover. What I mean by that is that he moves so much throughout the night that he manages to hit his head or feet on the crib rails which wakes him up. Lately he won't even let me put him in his crib for bed time. It's been a lot of long nights of him coming to bed with us where he sleeps fine. He tosses a little but for the most part will stay asleep which makes it better for all of us. We DON'T want him to stay in bed with us and asked the doc what to do, if at this young age he was ready for a big boy bed, she said no! We've gone as far as taking his mattress out of his crib and putting it on our bedroom floor with plently of bedding around it so he cant roll off (those nights I didn't sleep well) but he seemed to do fine with it.
Bottom line, how can I get him back in bed without the trantrums (that last hours) or what age did you use a big bed?

Geokiwi

Asked by Geokiwi at 8:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put him in a bed with bed rails. If his crib doesn't convert to a toddler bed it may be a well worth investment for your family. I think you'll all sleep better. (If his crib does convert-usually just by taking one side down-put bumpers back up on the ends/side that remain and a bed rail so he stays in, plus pillows on the floor just in case)
    If you have to, put the matress on the floor to start with pillows/cushions around the side for extra protection and a gate at his door so he's safe in his room. Once he can climb up and down from the couch safely on his own you can probably put the matress back on the bed.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. He can already climb on and off the couch by himself, he can also climb out of the crib if he really tries. I will have to try the mattress on the floor again until hubby can covert the crib.
    Geokiwi

Answer by Geokiwi at 8:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I gave up the fight and let my daughter sleep with me. When she threw her tantrums, it wasn't because she just didn't want to go to bed.. It was because she didn't want to go to bed alone.
    So I go lay down with her for about 20 minutes until she falls asleep. Then I'm able to get up and do all the stuff I have to do, then I just climb back in bed with her when I'm done!
    She is also a very big sleep mover! Even just the 2 of us in my queen sized bed, I get pushed off! So I figure I'll skip a toddler bed and go straight to a twin sized bed with rails on both sides. But for now, she likes the comfort of falling asleep with me.
    Maybe you could go straight to a twin size bed with rails on both sides and lay down with your son until he goes to sleep?
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 8:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Having his "own" bed is defiently the way we want to go, because we like having our time. LOL. I think we will try to convert it first, but if that doesn't work maybe the twin size as you suggested. Thanks for the help!
    Geokiwi

Answer by Geokiwi at 8:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I just went through that, my little one is 17 months and we have him in a toddler bed with rails. He is doing just fine. No more hitting the bars!!
    littlemann

Answer by littlemann at 10:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009