What type of camera should I buy?

I just got a new macbook and upgraded software for picture editing. I need a good camera because I am enrolled in a photography class in April. I don't want to spend over $800.00 for now. After I master a few classes I will upgrade to something else? Anybody a professional photographer? I am really interested in this and want to do this as a hobby for now and possibly branch out into a small business later.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Yes, I'm a professional photographer. =) You can easily buy one of the lower end semi-pro cameras, in which you can still use if you decide to start a biz later on. UR best bet is to go to a local camera shot, shop around for prices but most importantly, FEEL each camera in your hands. Seriously, each camera will feel different and may not feel "right" to you.

For that price, you will most likely have to buy a kit, which is the camera body and the set lens it already come with. The lens that the camera comes with isn't top of the line, as they are made a bit more cheaper than the good lenses, BUT they are still good to work with. Everyone has to start somewhere. =) My assistant uses a kit and her photos are still beautiful! So no worries....

I use Canon...so my first instinct would tell you in that price range, the XTi or XSi may be your best bet. But of course, there is Nikon as well as others. (cont. below)..
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 8:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• And just keep in mind that as long as you have a DSLR with AT LEAST 8 megapixels, you will be fine. Sales people will try to push the 12 megapixels on ya (and sure, higher is nice) but I've done poster prints using a camera of 8.2 megapixels with phenomenal results. So just to keep that in the back of your mind. Hope all this helps! Good luck and most of all, have fun!!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 8:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I bought mine at Wolf Camera to use with my Etsy shop. We purchased the Nikon D60 SLR Gold edition which came with everything we needed to get started including the bag and an extra lens. We love it. Its easy, breezy, and makes even my shots look great. :) With everything, including a decent printer, we spent $1000. Not bad. Wolf also offers like 8-10 free classes.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The best deal I know of right now is the Sony a350 with the 16-105mm lens for $899 from Adorama (online). I know that is higher than your budget, but it is worth it if you can swing it. My budget was supposed to be $1500 and I ended up spending $2000.

Adorama is a very reputable dealer and the 16-105mm lens is one of Sony's top digital lenses. The a350 is 14MP and you need good lenses to resolve the high MP count of the sensor. This is a fantastic deal. The a350, body only, sells for $650. The 16-105mm lens sells for $579. This deal is because of an instant rebate which expires March 31st.

I own a Sony a700 and I absolutely love it. I could get the same images from the Canon 40D or 50D, or the Nikon D300 but I love the ergonomics and the user interface of the Sony a700 and it costs much less than the Canon and Nikon counterparts.

(cont)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sony has also put the stabilization into the body so every lens will be stabilized. With Canon and Nikon you must buy the lenses with stabilization and not all the lenses have it, like the great prime lenses.

Sony is number three behind Canon and Nikon after less than five years in the DSLR business. and there are a lot of pros switching to Sony. They are going to do great things with DSLR.

BTW-the a350 has an articulated live view lcd. It tilts out. If you don't like this, you may not like the a350. But if you like live view-no one does it quite like Sony.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My husband is a professional photographer. www.digitalillusions.us. I believe he uses a Canon 5D Mark II, or a Canon 50D. Don't remember. He also has a killer lens for it. He's also got a Canon Xti as a backup. Not NEARLY as good as the new camera, but it will suffice until he can get a better backup. Good luck with your hobby!!
    Anonymous