How do I get my child to stop biting me?

My son has bitten me quite a few times in the past year. People have told me to bite back but I find that to be childish and I don't really like to hit him. Is there another way that I can make him stop. I've read that they usually bite when their mad or teething but my son is two and just bites out of the blue. So far he has only bitten me but I'm afraid that if I put him in a daycare he'll bite other children and his canines are really sharp. When he played with the other children at our old church he was fine, but he has bitten me twice today so I don't know if I should trust him with other people. What do I do?

Kitten19

Asked by Kitten19 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, my mother taught my sis and me never to bite her or others by this one simple thing. BITE HIM back. Seriously I know seems over the top immature and quite stupid but if you do not do it he will only progress with this type of behavior and more than likely start taking it out on others also.
    Anonymous

• My son would bite when he was excited and mad. and he would do it to anyone near him. I tried time out and scolding him but it didn't work my sister told me to bite him back when he bit me and it worked he never bite anyone again!!! When she told me to do this I thought no that has to be child abuse but the older he got the harder the bit and when i picked him up from school the teacher said he bit twice today so when he bit me that night I thought I need to try something else and so I bit him he cried for about 10 minutes told me I was naughty put me in time out and hasnt bit since!! Try it it wont kill him!!!
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It is just a phase the child is going through. My son bit me for a few weeks, and then he stopped. I don't know if it is because I bit him back like everyone told me to or not, but that is what happened.
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 8:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I had to do a few different tacktics with my three kids. My oldest Eli had to learn that it hurt, so I lightly bit him and he never did it again. My middle son Luc just liked the feeling of biting things so i did like a would a dog, when he would go to bite me I would shove something else in his mouth instead. My daughter is more of a sensitive soul, all i had to do was pretend to cry and she would feel bad and make it better.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009