Does your mom try to be "mommy" to your kid?

Just out of curiosity i want to know how many of you have this problem..
(ive literally heard my mom say.. come to mommy.. i mean mamaw)

HaviksMum

Asked by HaviksMum at 8:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• No. Neither of our parents do at all. They rather enjoy thier new title of Grandma and the spoiling rights that come with that. If either of them ever did, I would probably just let 'em keep my kids a few days so they can appreciate the privelege of being a grandparent and not a mom: Sending the kids HOME!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 9:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No. ...but my MIL tries to be mommy to DS. ...it used to be a lot worse but we've had a lot of talking things through. She is much more tolerable now. ANd a lot of it has to do that we live with her. we'll soon be moving out and i know it wont even be as much of an issue.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• yeah shes weird
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i do with my in laws my relationship with my il and fil isn't so peachy anymore
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 9:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i am so glad i am not the only one..i have had a falling out with my mother because of that and not only does she do that crap she makes me feel like im less then a mother by the things she says under her breath and thinks i cant hear her i swear i never thought my own mother could hurt me the way my mother has over my kids and about my kids..
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• YES I get so mad when I say no she is always like oh come here Blake and will do anything. Or when my son says mom my mom will say what. When I confront her on it she says its just habit I'm use to being the mom in this house. My ex Mother in law will interupt me parenting and tell me do it like this or she will just take his attention away and say thats nothing to worry about it drives me insane.
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• That's just creepy. My mom would never do that!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes and no. My mother was clear I am the mother and would ask my permission on almost everything. But she would say things like, "I hope you don't expect for me to ____ because I am not going to." At least I was aware of her limits. My MIL on the other hand is not cooperative. I wouldn't say she believes she is the "mom" of my child but she does think that she should have the final say since she raised two successful children "right." I just keep the mouth closed and don't bother to speak up unless it is going to be harmful to my son. I just let her think that she can get her way and then do it my way.
    Anonymous

• No, she barely grandmothers him. She did take care of him for a week when I had surgery. But we only see her once or twice a year.
    Anonymous

• That is a little odd, she's "Granny!" I wish I had a MIL. My MIL has passed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009