How can I stop disrespectful behavior early?

My son is 10 almost 11 and for the past 2 weeks has been so disrespectful, mean, lying to me, treating his siblings like dirt, gets in their faces and yells at them. He is a well decorated boy scout, and knows better than this. I am at my witts end with him, he is usually so good, and kind. I just dont know what to do anymore

napagirl

Asked by napagirl at 11:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I want to know WHY??? Why has this good child suddenly changed from his normal, polite, respectful, kind boy? What has happended In these last weeks? Has there been a change in his routine? New friends? A change in the home? A sudden change like this I believe is a symptom of something greater going on with this child. Sit him down and ask him. Tell him and reasure him how much you love him and how concerned you are about him. Make sure that he knows that you are there for him...always, no matter what he says or does. There is a reason for the acting out...be a detective and find out what has impacted your child to create such a lashing out of behaviors. Good luck and love that baby!!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Take everything away from him, so his room has a bed and his clothing, and tell him he can earn it back.

Throughout the week, catch him doing well (being quiet when his sibling sits by him as opposed to pushing them away or being rude) and say that night "today, you watched cartoons really well with your sibling, you can choose one ___ back for your room"
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My twin neices are that same exact age. Normally great girls, but sometimes get out of hand like that. When I've had enough of warning them and griping at them, I start taking away privlages (toys, tv, computer, whatever else is important to them at the time). I also do timeouts. Make them stand in the corner for 10 mins. and when times up.. they have to appologize to me or whoever, tell me exactly what they done wrong, why its wrong, and what they can do to be "big girls" instead of being mean. It makes them actually think about what they are doing. If they do something good, I praise them. Example, if they throw something away or put something back where it goes.. I tell them "wow I can't believe how grown up you're getting and helping me now".
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This is a stage appropriate way to act, but not a nice way to act. Explaine to your kid that they will be rewarded with good behavior. Rewards are TV, Video games, driving them to there current activityes like baseball or sumer camp, Desert, etc. Encourage your child to journal and speak to you about there emotions. The kids are angry and don't even know why. Try to have your kid work it out. If they can't then to there room to work it out. No tantrums for little one's (Like my 3.5yo) in the room that I am in, same for my 12.5yo. They must scream, act rude, be obnoxious by them selfs. TO YOUR ROOM!!!
    Jgirl

Answer by Jgirl at 12:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

Jgirl

Answer by Jgirl at 12:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• well mine are 13, 15 and 16 so I remember that age well... they all seem to go through it around 11 and 12 for me.... but after talking and them knowiing their sharp tongue is gettine out of hand usually makes them aware they r comming across in a bad way even though they thought it was cute at that age. But with my oldest i had found if she kept it up she was needing more attention and not knowing how to get it... I found the best thing is to keep good communication open and a open mind.... our life is busy and the other kids n the room so we started a journal just between us... it gives us privacy from others and time for important things that need to be talked about.... i got a journal and one of us would write in it then hide it in the other persons place to find it then the other would do the same..... just alot of one on one time when needed but at their time cuz they r busy creatures at that age... very social
    tabby1catt

Answer by tabby1catt at 1:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• put the smackdown on them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2008