A challenge for liberals and conservatives alike

I see a lot (and I mean A LOT) of political posts on here, and I've noticed that the conversations seem to get rather heated. But we're all citizens of our country, we all love our country, and in that spirit, I have a question.

What do you like about the other side?

Personally, I'm a liberal. But I agree with conservatives on gun control (to name just one, there are others). I believe you can't say that the framers didn't intend the Second Amendment as written while holding the rest of the Bill of Rights inviolate, as I believe it should be. To me, gun control is too often a slippery slope. I believe in regulation but I don't support a handgun ban (which is not a part of the Democratic Party Platform, but is a deeply held belief by many liberals).

So what do you agree with or like about the other side of the aisle?

AesSedai

Asked by AesSedai at 9:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have always been a democrat but, I do agree with republicans that the states should have more power with certain things

Anonymous

• Thank You!
    I'm a conservative but I too have things I like about "the other side". As if there are just two sides!
    I like that the Dems make things like health care a higher priority. I don't agree on the means usually but I agree on the ends.
    I like how the Libertarians prize individual responsibility over government regulation.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• confusedHMMM...This may take a while! I'll have to come back.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I am with you on that one OP. I am liberal but also agree with many conservatives about gun control. There are a few other things as well. ...but i do have to say that gun control is probably the "largest" issue that i share similiar views with conservatives.
    hey! great post by the way!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I'm a Libertarian and consider myself pretty middle-of-the-road. I just think it's crazy that conservatives use liberal as an insult and liberals use conservative as an insult. I'm pro-constitution and anti-anyone who's anti-constitution, LOL!
    Anonymous

• well there will never be a gun ban... we have the ammen. right to bear arms.... as for "the other side"..... i don't consider myself a cons. or a lib. but i don't really like the libs. i have seen on here...i just don't like the way of thinking they have..for the most part...i dont really agree with anything they are for...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/other/conservative-vs-liberal-beliefs/

I can't comment.....But here is a link that I found to be interesting. :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I am a conservative and like that the liberals stress caring for our environment more than our side does. We only have one earth, we should really treat it as such!
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I am a conservative and at 62 I have come to the conclusion that there is not much I can agree with liberals on. I cannot think of a single thing really. My parents were democrats. My mom was realy a conservative and didn't know it but my dad was a total jerk. He depended on the govt which is wrong and my sister and her youngest daughter are the worst ever.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Now, it doesn't have to be liberals you've seen on this site, JuLiAnSmOmMy317. Any liberal principles at all. Or even something that many liberals believe in. The point of the exercise is to search for something, to remind us that there are real people on the other side of the spectrum, people just like us.
    AesSedai

Answer by AesSedai at 9:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009