A question about renting

Ok so I told my landlord 3 to 4 weeks ago that my dryer dont work and several months ago that my washer wasnt working right i have to keep a 10lbs weight on it in order for it to spin out and he came over looked at it and i didnt hear from him again. When i called and asked what was wrong with my dryer no lie he said "It dont work" and that was that so my question is since its his responsibility to fix it and he hasnt do i have to pay my rent or can i wait until he actually fixes whats broken??

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 9:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It is his responsibility to fix it. I say call someone to come fix it and at rent time, give him the rent minus the cost to fix the dryer.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• of course u have to pay ur rent.. i would tell him he has a week or im sending him a bill for my laundry
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• In most places you can hold the rent until the proper repairs are done ,but I'd find out for certain just to avoid any conflicts....
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You need to dig out whatever lease paperwork you signed with this guy and see what it lists as his and your responsibilities and what options maybe outlined there. If there are none; then I would call the housing dept of your county and ask them if they are able to advise you as to your legal options at this point...good luck
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Gosh! What is it with landlords!? I have had a leaky roof all winter and the landlord just puts buckets in the celing to catch the water and says "when there is a break in the weather I'll come and fix it right" Well that break in the weather comes and goes and NO sign of the landlord!!! We also have a broken sink in my bathroom he won't fix either! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

You might wanna check the Tenant-Landlord laws in your state. You can look them up on the internet. Sorry that I don't really have an answer! I just had to comment..... :) Good luck!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• First look at your lease. If it does not specifically state that there is a washer and dryer for your use, he doesn't really have to do anything. It isn't like a furnace or water heater that is mandatory for having a CO (certificate of occupancy). If it is stated in your lease about the w/d, you should call him ask him what (if anything) he intends to do about the laundry machines. Then if he says nothing, you can ask if you can get it fixed and deduct it from your rent. (Make sure you enclose a COPY of the receipt with your rent payment). If he says no you can't do that, check witih the laws in your state, county or city-(landlord/tenant laws) you may be able to put the rent in an escrow account until he fixes it. This shows intent on your part that you were willing and able to pay if it ever ends up in court.
    kate3937

Answer by kate3937 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Ok don't just call someone to come fix it you need to call him and say if its not working by this date and be resonable you are going to call and give him the name of a company to fix it. In the mean time pay your rent, if you don't he can start evicting you and then he wouldn't have to come right over and fix anything. Also, document ever conversation you have with him, in case you go to court you will have some evidence. If he does not fix anything by the date you gave him then call the company you told him you would be calling and have them come fix it. You can pay them or have the bill sent to your landlord. If you pay it then make a copy of the reciept and deduct the amount from your rent and give him a copy with your rent check! Good Luck!!!!!
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Thanks ladies if i want to put it in escrow i have to pay this month and then send him a notice and if its not fixed my the 30th day i wont have to pay rent for the next month this sucks he used to be such a good landlord too now hes gone to the crapper =(
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• aubrees_mommie - being a renter too I know it sucks to be dependant on him esp for something we mom's consider essential like a washer and dryer; but if he's been a good landlord up to this point keep in mind the economy has hit everyone and he may be in a spot where he can't afford to fix it at the moment either; regardless of what he might have done in the past were the situation different.

Not that you're not right to feel the way you do - just reminding you there's always two sides to every situation... =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2009