training underwear

what are training underwear for and how do you use them? what are their purpose? because my daughter has some but I dont know what the difference is from the regular underwear.

sastewart

Asked by sastewart at 9:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Usually they are thicker and have a much thicker crotch area so they can hold a little bit of pee if the child wets.
    I bought some and they were a huge waste of money for us. The extra thickness in the crotch was poly fiber fill - that's right - plastic fibers. They didn't hold anything. The pee just ran right through them, down her legs and into her shoes. You can put plastic pants on over them to keep that from happening but those trap all that heat and moisture next to the skin - my daughter had a diaper rash after just half hour of wear with NO pee.
    In then end, I went with the naked method and then with panties. I do use pullups but only for long trips out when I'm uncertain of where a bathroom will be or if I'm leaving her with someone and I'm not certain she will ask for help to use the bathroom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• They're to aide in potty training. If you do training underwear buy the kind that are plastic that you wear over regular underwear. They make more sense because they hold in the pee and make the child aware they're wet but they don't get your sofa wet too! The regular training underwear with the thicker crotch are good though not because they hold in too much when there is an accident but because they transition the child from a thick padded comfy diaper to a little less padded underwear... it isn't so much of a shock to wear thick training underwear after a diaper as it would be to go from a diaper straight to thin reg underwear. If that makes sense! Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2009