whats the best way to burp your newborn?

ashley_maaab

Asked by ashley_maaab at 9:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to just rub my son's back in a circular motion, that seemed to help really well.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Many people will have different opinions on this. But IMO (and my kiddos pedi too), says the best way is to sit the baby on your lap and have your forearm gently on their chest, with your hand cradling their neck/head just so it's resting comfortably in it. Then to burp and rub their back that way. This way, it's less pressure on their bellies (and therefore, less spit-up), say if you were burping them over UR shoulder. As they get a bit older, you can alternate or do what is best for your peanut. But this is what worked for my boys. =) HTH!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

Yup :)
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I set them on my lap with my thumb and fingers apart and supporting the front of his neck and chest. Then I rubbed his back with my other hand. It worked very well.

Answer by Bmat at 9:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I gently sit him on my lap and lift him up and down a few times (GENTLY, like we do when we're playing) because it gets any air bubbles loosened and helps him burp more easily. Then I sit him on my lap, lean him forward slightly while supporting him under his chin with one hand and gently patting his back with the other. Doing this my son burps instantaneously and rarely spits up. The nurses at the hospital showed me this when he was born and it's always worked like a charm!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You can also lay your baby down on your lap or on the couch (feet facing you) and make bicycle motions with his/her legs to loosen up the gas if he/she has difficulty burping.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The bicycle motion helps too if baby has gas =) Good tips.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 10:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I do what NovemberLove does- lift baby up and down three times gently then pat DS's back. Once I switched to that method the burps came twice as fast!
    rorysmomnj

Answer by rorysmomnj at 8:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2009