Going in for an induction tomorrow, any advice?

I go in at noon and will have the Cervadyl, then 12 hours later they will give me the pitocin. I know and have heard all about how bad pitocin makes labor but aside from that if you have any advice please share.
Thanks.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 9:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Since you asked for it...my advice is that unless this is for some severe medical reason, don't have an induction. Go look up the ingredients in pitocin. Oh and they're lying about the fact that induction doesn't increase your risk for a c-section...it does. Tremendously. Sorry, you asked. :(
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 9:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The main thing is to stay calm and remember there is nothing to worry about. I was induced with my daughter and I didn't have any problems. Of course I had an epidural to keep me from feeling the contractions when they hit so I don't know too much about the pain. The worst part of being induced for me was having to lay on my back all the time.
    deltadawn1975

Answer by deltadawn1975 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Thanks that was very supportive. I'm having an induction because I have toxemia...
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Okay then ignore my advice. I said UNLESS this is for a medical condition... You didn't specify why you were having an induction, which is why I put the UNLESS part.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 9:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I wish you good luck and try to relax! I hope that you have a healthy baby!

vroberts3677

Answer by vroberts3677 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Deep breath momma! Lots of us were induced with no troubles. :). How excited you must be! Remember to pack lots of comfort items. I even packed a battery operated fan lol. The noise of a fan relaxes me :). I know it may be hard but please try to get your rest tonight. You should be able to get up and walk around before the pain gets to bad............I would walk all you can.

Best of luck and please let us know when you can how things went and how you and baby are doing!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Thanks!
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have tons of advice I hope it all fits! Stay moving. It will help bring baby down.. Stay away from the epidural as long as you can, meaning if you plan on taking it dont do it at the first chance you have available, make sure you are really needing it. Having an epi will increase your risk of a c-sec if baby isn't positioned correctly (they will tell you it's failure to progress cause baby isn't hitting your cervix at right angle) But if you are dead set AGAINST a c-sec, and your blood pressure (cause of the toxemia) is putting you in a position that you may need one, an epidural may buy you some time, a major side effect of it is lowering your bp! Dr's are really bad about pushing interventions on unsuspecting mothers. Unless it is an absolute emergency ask that you have some time to think about options. Do things only if you feel comfortable and not for your Dr's or hospitals convenience. And good luck!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I went in for an induction, and i ended up having a c-section, and i wouldnt change a thing! if you are taking the epidural, you will be fine. I had the epidural and did not feel any pains. Everyone is different, and everyones body reacts different, but i had pitosin and epidural and did not feel one pain!
    littlemann

Answer by littlemann at 10:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have gone in to labor both naturally and was induced w/ pitocin. I actually like the pitocin better because it cut the actual labor in half. It all hurts really bad either way you go so why not get it over w/ faster.
    goinPostal

Answer by goinPostal at 2:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009