My son is 4 months old. Is it ok for him to eat baby foods?

Brittany099

Asked by Brittany099 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Any pediatrician will say wait until he is 6mths old. But, I started all my kids at 4mths and they were fine. Not on normal baby food but adding in cereal every once in awhile. They liked to eat alot and it helped fill them up and not want to eat every 20-30 mins.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• my baby started eating cereals around 4-5 months. i believe he's fine. ;)
    angel_caramel

Answer by angel_caramel at 10:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• They really shouldn't have anything besides formula or breastmilk until 6 months. If you are going to start with something cereal is your safest bet. If you start with foods to early it can cause certain food allergies to develop. Your baby really doesn't need the food yet.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 10:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Oh boy, these are the can of worms questions LOL We started giving our baby cereal in the formula at 4 months once a day. A teaspoon of cereal to 4 teaspoons of formula/breast milk. When we took him to day care at 5 months they give them baby food starting at 4 months, unless there's a "doctors excuse" not to. I couldn't believe it. But anyways, he is 6 and a half months now. At 5 months started the baby food and he is just fine. If their digestive system is mature enough it is okay. Cereal for a month or so is a good idea, thicken it up a bit each week. Then I mixed in babyfood with the ceral. Now we just give babyfood with cereal, how they do at day care and his system does great.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't give it to my child because their tummies are not ready until 6 months. But it's your child and ultimately up to you. Good luck.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• we started cereal and baby food at 4 mos. My LO needed to start putting on some weight per her doc. She didn't think that she was getting enough calories. I say start the food any time after 4 mos where you feel comfortable doing it. Good luck feeding them at this age is SOOOOOO much fun. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Please check for signs of readiness BEFORE starting solids.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Coala gave EXACTLY the answer I was going to give. I, too, started my son on cereal & baby food at 4 months following doctor's orders to make him gain weight. He did just fine-- no problems whatsoever, but I think that I would have waited another month or so if the circumstances had been different.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• my son s' pediatrician told me to wait until 4-6 mths to introduce baby food to him.Im gonna start at 4 mths
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• some pedis say wait until 6 months. we started feeding our son ceral and oatmeal at 4 months and waited until 6 months for baby food... everyone is different
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 12:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2009