Some help please!!

Ok my friend and I were talking today. Out of no where she said " I think I have a drinking problem" I did not know what to say. I felt like the world worst friend.. I asked her if she wanted me to call around to AA places and she said ya. But how can I really help her? I have no idea what to say when she brings it back up....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just be there for her and be willing to do things that don't involve drinking. For example, if you usually order a drink at dinner out with her, don't. The only real addiction I can compare it to is coffee for me...I have to have it every day and if I tried to stop, I know having people drink it all around me and order it with their breakfast would make it miserable for me not to have it. Its not like you can do anything more than that...assist her finding help, talk if she wants, and don't put her in positions where alcohol is around right now.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You could do as you suggested and find where local AA meetings are and when, and just be there for her. You're not a bad friend. You're not expected to "understand" or relate, just be supportive.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Try finding the information she wants...Then educate yourself on alcoholism. Just be a good friend and listen. She is asking for help..and that is a good thing. The 1st step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Good luck!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Just be her friend and listen whenever she needs to talk
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Remember it's her problem and not yours. She has to be the one to make the effort to actually go to AA. You can go with her and support her, but don't become her crutch. She has to learn to stand on her own 2 feet and fight her problem alone. Be there and support her when she needs a friend to talk to, call her out when necessary...but just remember, no matter how frustrating things get, she's gotta be the one to take those steps. It's good that she admitted it to you...they say admitting the problem is the first step to kicking the habit. You shouldn't feel like a bad friend at all. As long as she know that you care, that's probably all that's going to matter to her.

Anonymous

• Well, since you offered to look up the AA places, you should definitely do that. You are not a bad friend, you were just caught off guard. These are difficult situations. Don't expect to be able to help beyond that. It truly is something that she has to help herself.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If she gets into aa sponsor her
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009