Adult ADHD

How does an adult get tested for ADD/ADHD? I think I definitely have some type of attention or focus issue but I don't know what and it's not like I was to call the doctor and tell them I think I have ADHD when I don't know much about it. What are the symptoms in adults?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband has it. Go to webmd.com and look it up. And talk to your doc. He may actually be more supportive if you just come in and talk to him about it. Not all types require medication. Focusing techniqes may work for you.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I went to see a psychologist for depression and in the process of evaluating me she discovered that it wasn't depression, but ADD! After 3 sessions where she tried to rule out different diagnoses the only one she could not rule out was ADD. Some symptoms would be chronic lateness or forgetfulness, anxiety, procrastination, organization problems, employment problems, impulsiveness, depression, esteem issues...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I don't know how they test but my SO has and has since he was a kid. He doesn't take any meds though be probably need them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I was tested for ADHD at 17, which is just about adult ADHD since most of the time it's caught as a young child. We told my normal doctor I was having problems and then I was sent to a physciatrist that set up all of these weird tests for me to take. After hearing that I constantly did silly things without thinking (always breaking bones, concussions, yada yada) they decided that I had had it when I was younger but that I probably have it under control now.

I think it's mostly like ADD. Difficulty focusing your attention in addition to doing things without thinking (be that making a stupid prank call, punching a wall, etc.) and having lots of extra, pent-up energy. Anyway that's what seemed to make them think I kind of sort of have/ had it.

Talk to your normal doctor, he/ she will get you started.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 10:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I should also add that I don't take medication for it. I tried some and hated the way they made me feel. I slowly learned meditation and other focusing techniques.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I dont know how they test for it in adults, but ive had it since I was a child, diagnosed with it in 1st grade...I hate it, I still struggle with it even now, I dont want to take the meds though, because they made me depressed and they are an appetite suppressant and im already thin enough....I try to work through it but sometimes its really hard
    Italiancouture7

Answer by Italiancouture7 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2009