Just wondering

Hey so my sister is about 14wks and told us today that shes craving the taste of dirt strange yeah well what I was wondering is has anyone else ever gotten a strange craving when pregnant? I don't mean like ice cream and things like that I mean like really strange

leemarie18

Asked by leemarie18 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, I had a strange craving for COMET. I know- it's really weird.. but everytime I would clean with it my mouth would water!!
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 10:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• lol I do that too
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• A craving for dirt needs to be brought to the attention of her OBGYN. It's part of a condition known as Pica, which is a craving for, essentially, things you shouldn't be eating. They'll want to know about it and monitor her.

Pica happens a lot in little kids and pregnant women, and while it can be harmless, the first poster's example is one that should be brought to a doc's attentions so they can remedy any chemical imbalances or mineral deficiencies that make you crave the non-food. Most of the time, I believe it tends to be iron.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 10:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• She might need to talk to her Dr. about it. I remember reading an article about this during one of my pregnancies, but I can't remember exactly what it was.
    funpolice

Answer by funpolice at 10:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• oh wow well thank you I thought it was just some strange thing but that is really helpful ill make sure she does that
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• WTF????thats weird...
    Anonymous

• yeah there is a medical name for it but i don't know it....she should ask her doctor about it.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• its probably a mineral her body is needing...she should tell her dr.
    Anonymous

• yes when i was pregnant with my second daughter i craved kitty litter i was super anemic and had to take iron pills 2 times a day for the rest of my pregnancy. she should definetly tell her OB
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2009