Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I give him to much meds?

So my ds is 20months old. We took him to the dr lastnight and he's got upper respitory infection. I've gotten sick from him as well.. Well I was giving him his medicine he's supposed to take 1/4 teaspoon 4times a day of cough medicine 100mg and 11ml 2times a day of amoxicillin 250mg . WEELLL I made a mistake! I was giving his last doses before bed and gave him his 1/4 teaspoon of cough syrup and ACCIDENTLY gave him another 11ml of his amoxicillin!!!! He's only supposed to have 2 doses I WAS THINKING 4!! He had it at 1:00, 6:00 and 9:00! The 9:00 was a mistake!! Is he gonna be ok? Or did I just give him to much! Do I need to take him to the dr?? HELP!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (9)
  • you should call his dr.
    ChaoticSoul

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • It's better to make a mistake and double up on the antibiotic rather than the cough medicine, he should be okay. When giving any meds you always need to watch for adverse effects. It shouldn't hurt him.

    Southerncharmes

    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I meant to add...always call your MD if you have any concerns. :-)
    Southerncharmes

    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • 1-800-222-1222
    Poison control can help. They can tell you if he needs to go to the ER or not.

    Post the number on your fridge, it's free!
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Anti-biotic, it should not hurt him. Cough medicine would have been much worse!
    Mishelly728

    Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Anti-biotic, it should not hurt him. Cough medicine would have been much worse!

    *****

    I agree with this poster - most likely it will upset his stomach and possibly make him vomit or have diarreah...unless he's acting unsual I'd say he's fine and you could give a quick call to the Dr's office in the am to double check but...really amoxicillin isn't a very strong anti-biotic...

    Look at the pharmacy paperwork for the symptoms of overdose and keep an eye on him; but I'm sure he'll be fine =)
    beachmamaof2

    Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • OK thanks ladies I called poison control! They said he should be fine because the doses were spread out and to call his dr in the morning to see if I should skip the morning dose! Thanks again!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Good to hear! If his tummy is upset offer him some dry toast or crackers and it should help =)
    beachmamaof2

    Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • OH, I wanted to tell you not to feel bad about this. I did something similar with my 9 year old at about 2 am, because she woke up with a bad cold. Well, you shouldn't try to read labels half asleep.
    5 seconds later I was on the phone with poison control trying to figure out if I should rush her to the hospital. The girl went over everything with me and then I swear she it sounded like she was laughing at me. At least I slept soundly know that I was a moron but my kid was going to be ok.
    lovinangels

    Answer by lovinangels at 11:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN