how do i g/ my 7wk old to go to sleep w/o me?

I try to lay him down when he goes to sleep, but he'll start cry.n and i feel like im not doing something right, so i pick him up. Shuld i let him cry? How do i teach him when its time to sleep?

iheartkewi

Asked by iheartkewi at 11:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a vibrating seat for my daughter. You can get them from Target/Walmart for about 25~30 bucks. Worked like a charm and very worth the money. Some babies need to have movement or closeness. Being only 7 weeks have you thought about a sling to carry baby? I wouldnt suggest letting such a little guy cry. But, thats my opinion. Might as well get used to it lol. Our life changes after baby. No more personal time for alonggggggg time lol.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Okay here is the deal... no one can tell you what is right for you and your child. So many people told me that I had to lay my daughter down and let her cry... so not the case. She is much happier laying down with mommy and daddy while we catch a show before bed. If your instints are telling you to tend to the baby and pick him/her up then do it. You have to trust yourself and the decisions that you make. No matter what you choose to do... you have to make the decision for yourself.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 11:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i agree with prettylilrae. You are going to have to figure out what works best for you guys. Have you tried swaddling him? a lot of times they just need that close feeling to sleep. You can wrap him up in one of your tshirts too. this way he gets your smell and he still feels secure. If you dont want to be constantly picking him up you can always go in there and rub his back and sing to him to help him to relax, this will help to teach him how to self soothe, which I am a big fan of. Either way, he's still littls and he doesnt need to be crying for a long time, but at the same time, you dont need to carry him around all day. try different things and see what helps. Dont give up on one way too quick though. it may take a couple trys for him to get used to it
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It's really too early to expect her to do anything but what she is. Even CIO advocates say not to do it before six months.

She's in the fourth trimester...not *really* ready to be out yet. Swaddle her, but expect what she's doing to happen for a while longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• we had the womb bear for our son. we bought it at babies r us and I blieve they sell one at target and that seemed to work for us
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 12:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The most helpful book I've read was called "The 90 Minute Baby Sleep Program" and talked about learning to recognize your baby's natural "alertness cycles" and how to use them to help your baby learn to enjoy falling asleep on their own. All humans have alertness cycles that run in 90 minute increments, halfway through (45 minutes after waking) you are most alert and at the end (90 minutes after waking) you are the least alert, and the most able to fall asleep. If you don't fall asleep, the cycle repeats until you do. The book also talks about how sleep patterns develop and how to meet baby's needs at each stage. At 7 weeks your little one is still dependant on you to help them "shut out" all the stimuli going on around them to help them focus on sleeping. Keep track of when your baby wakes, then count forward 90 minutes, and about 10/15 minutes before that start your regular sleepy routine (rocking, nursing, etc).
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• cont'd

Baby will begin to make the connection between their own sleepy feelings and the good feeling of falling asleep (as opposed to getting sleepy feelings and then having someone try to keep them awake and getting overtired). I highly recommend reading the book, but if you just keep an eye on your little one and watch to learn their sleepy signals, you can help them learn to love sleeping. My son is 9 months old now, and when he's sleepy he'll crawl over to me and rub his face on my shoulder bc he knows I'll take him to bed. He usually nurses for a minute or two, and then rolls over and falls asleep. So it's working really well for us!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I let my baby (7months) sleep with me if he needs me. Babies are all different but you... I don't wanna tell you whats what, should leave him to cry at that age. He misses you. Remember he was in you for 9 months thats all he knows.
    lara_b

Answer by lara_b at 8:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2009