Hives?

For 5 days my 2 yr old has been getting bites or hives on various places on his body. Approx. 5-8 new bumps show up every day as the older ones heal. We've ruled out bugs because I keep a pretty clean home and though we do have a dog, she has always been treated with frontline and does not have fleas. I have gone through the house and washed all bedding and put all of our pillows in the dryer (to kill any possible pests). Our doc asked if we've changed soaps, etc. (which we haven't) and prescribed benedryl. But I want to figure out what it is. He he be developing an allergy to our dog? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Raegy

Asked by Raegy at 11:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• has she had anything new to eat
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Sorry for the typo.....I ment to ask 'Could he be developing an allery to our dog?'

And no, I can't think of any new foods but I will go through the fridge right now!
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 11:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Chicken Pox or scabies? Scabies can be gotten anywhere it has nothing to do with your cleanliness. Its not that uncommon. How about new laundry soap, clothes that are new and not washed, scented carpet sprinkles that you vacum, aerasol sprays, new lotions? STress in the house?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• This won't make you feel any better, but I have chronic hives. We've never figured out what I am allergic to, I just randomly break out in hives.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• When my dd was 2 the same thing happened. She just started breaking out in hives! The doc asked the same questions but we hadn't changed anything & she hadn't had new food or anything. The doc basically said wait it out & give benadryl. She also said try taking certain things away for 3 days to see if it helped. For example...milk, strawberries, etc. We even went out & bought a whole new bedset because we thought maybe it was the material or something. Went & bought her a 100% cotton bedset which was exspensive! lol Guess what? Didn't help. The hives lasted about a week & then were gone. Never came back. Good luck & try not to worry! My doc said sometimes this just happens to kids. Strange.
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 6:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My son breaks out in hive when ever he gets itchy(you acn see the scratch marks) I just put a anti-itch cream on him and it goes away with in 5 mins. I have not yet figured out what makes him itchy I just try to put lotion on after a bath.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• A couple of ideas...
    Have you checked with the doc to see if its actually ezcema? My boys both get breakouts that look similar to hives or pimples but its ezcema. It can come and go depending on the weather and other things like that.
    Some people do spontaneously breakout in hives...usually due to "stress" (that could mean anything from keeping up a high heart rate to having an adrenaline rush)
    Also, if the dog licks him, that could be causing the breakouts. Dogs have a lot of good/clean bacteria in their mouths but some people have a negative reaction to the saliva. In my case if my baby has a butt rash, the dog licks it and it actually clears up faster than using cream! (weird i know and we found out by accident, but, hey, it works!)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2009