Do you think it's ok to take 1 tylenol pm every night?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and have a really hard time getting comfortable/sleeping at night. I'm just under 5 ft tall so I am already really big in the tummy....I know tylenol is ok to take, but I'm finding that taking 1 tylenol pm every night helps me sleep SO much....2 is the usual dose but I'm just taking one...do you think it's ok? I mean, keep in mind it's allowing me great rest which is important too!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My OB said that it was perfectly fine but I wouldn't wake up until the medication wore off so I didn't. I recommend talking to your OB about it, but I am sure he/she will say it is fine!
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 11:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I don't know if you should have a sleeping pill. You could try a benedryl!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• the ingredient in tylenol pm is the same as benadryl....that's why i was thinking it was ok.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I was able to take Tylenol PM for most of my last pregnancy but my OB stated that towards the end of my last trimester to not take it because the baby can get some of the side effects (sleeping more than they normally do) once they are born. Ask UR doc to be sure.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 11:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My OB told me it was perfectly fine I am 34 weeks and was just at the doctor last thursday and she never mentioned to me to stop taking it. She asked if I was still having trouble sleeping and I told her yes very much so. Talk to your doctor they know your condition and should tell you whats best for you.
    Anonymous

• My OB told me to take it. Flat out. Told me I looked awful and needed some sleep. She did say not every night, though, and any kind of sleep aid can be mentally if not physically habit forming.

Try creating a night time ritual, like taking a long walk, then a warm bath, and avoiding any digital light like tv's and comps and cell phones an hour before bed. Try to go to sleep with out it, knowing you can take it if you really need it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Tylenol PM is totally fine to take. Google its active ingredients and their grade during pregnancy. They are a B grade I believe which means its fine. My OB reccommended it. He said not to take Benadryl or Sudafed because of its ingredients. Also, you could go to a pharamcy and ask they'll tell you.
    twinmommy2009

Answer by twinmommy2009 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My midwife said I could take it. I'm 39 wks. and having my baby on Friday (scheduled c-section for medical probs.) so I've been taking 1-2 for almost a week now to sleep. I never took any before that, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in Tylenol PM, and in Benedryl. They are both considered safe for pregnancy. I used to take Tylenol PM at night as well, but it got where it was keeping me awake with my heart racing and feeling jumpy. Benedryl does me the same way. I was sick and tired and very run down. My doc was worried about preterm labor because it was my fourth child and I had already had a history of it. She put me on ambien for the rest of my pregnancy. She said I needed to sleep desperately. If the tylenol is helping you, then I would keep taking it. You need to sleep.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2009