can someone please explain why I've spent $1,100 on propane in 7 weeks

We live in less then 800 sq. ft. I do not bake and do most of my cooking with a crock pot ( stove is propane). Hot water is heated with propane but my laundry is done on cold and showers are warm, never hot.
So why is it I have gone through so much propane?
I asked the gas company about it and they said it's because we had 9 days below zero! WTH! So what! it still does not explain where the propane went! When I asked them about it I was hoping they would offer a leak test but they didn't seem to think it was the reason.
I need advice, answers or something...this is too much money to be spending on propane for such a small place.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 11:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• ur water heater could be leaking... it will cause u too go through it fast..... u need to check that.. also check to see if the temp to it is to hot that can also cause it
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 11:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• oh and it has been that cold here and i have onlyy spent 300 in 3 months and we have a 1500sq so it cant be the space issue..... or weather
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 11:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Are your windows well insulated? Any loose seals on doors? Like a pp said, do check your water heater. Even though you aren't using the hot water all the time, it could be trying to heat it up more often. Do you have crawl space or a basement under the house? Crawl space could be making the house colder, and your furnace would run more.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 12:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• How do I know if the water heater is leaking??...it's something I have never thought about!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Can you get a handyman in to take a look? Sounds like somehting is leaking. Dispute the bill, too, if you're covered by your state's public utilities commission.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Well, if its been that cold, then its likely your heater is not shutting off at all. Its possible that your windows are drafty and your doors have cracks. Propane is not hard to go through. We used to live in 900 sq ft house when our oldest was a baby and we were constantly having to fill that tank up. There wasn't a leak, just the heater ran a lot during the winter. Listen for how often its turning off and on.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Definately take the advice of everyone else, that's a huge amount to spend on heat. With National Fuel we are on balanced billing and it's only $78 a month
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2009