Twins??

My husband has 4 yr old twin boys they are recently enrolled in preschool and i was wondering if we should start to do seperate things with them. Here in illinois i do believe that they seperate them when they get into kindergarten. I was just wondering what ppl thought about this any advise helps..

tber22

Asked by tber22 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have 5 year old twins that are in Kindergarten. My twins are separated and think that it's the best thing for them. Talking with other twin mommies they would advise the same thing.
    4boys990306

Answer by 4boys990306 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• my twins are 3 granted they are bg they still use to do everything together... ive already started doing seperate things with them! and i've noticed their indivdual personalities are standing out more than before.... as i said before tho mine ar boy/girl so... duno
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have 6 yr old twin boys and they are also in kindergarten. They attend a very small private school and so there is only one kindergarten class. I personally feel that it all depends on the children themselves. My twins are identical but extremely different and the same in so many ways. I also have two older boys so this may influence them in the way they behave too. The whole deal is to have them be independent of one another. If they are so dependent on each other and will not do anything without the other, then I am strong about separating them. My boys also play sports outside of school. They meet so many other kids. I have been seeing their interests develop and that they love being together, but they are totally fine apart. I realize that it is a bond that I will never fully understand. I love the fact that they are each others best friend and that they want to do things together all the time.
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 12:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My mom was a twin and forced to do everything with her twin sister through the school years. As adults, they barely spoke. She always used to say how she hated being "the twin" instead of being "Karen".

My nieces are identical twins and they are given more freedom to be themselves. They are 13 and still best friends.

Just because two babies are born at the same time from the same womb, doesn't mean they are a "set". They are two individual babies. They are two individual human beings. Let them be themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have 6-year old boy/girl twins, so they obviously have different interests and different friends. They do now and always have shared class at schoool, however extracurricular activities are always done separate (ie, karate, dance school). When they were younger my husband and I would sometimes seperate them over the weekend for a few hours. He'd take my son and I'd take my daughter and we'd run our errands and then meet up for dinner and they would hug for over 5 minutes. So some time apart at some point in the day worked for us. But they still have their own best friends which is probably due to the difference in gender.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 3:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have two sets of twins. The first set, when they started school I had them put into the same classroom so that they wouldn't feel alone. Once they got use to going to school I had them put in separate classrooms. Now they love school. I also did the same thing with my second set who are in K-4.
    Shnntt1125

Answer by Shnntt1125 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My 3+ year old b/g twins are in preschool and were together until this past year. We separated them and it has been a great thing for them. They were not real clingy with each other, but they constantly had this "security blanket" in having the other one right there. Singleton children do not have this built-in "security blanket" so we decided to let them be like all other children. Their personalities have really come out this year and they enjoy spending time away from each other. It was definately a positive thing for them.
    liz1974

Answer by liz1974 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thanks for all your advice this had really helped us knowing what others have experienced it already.
    tber22

Answer by tber22 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My opinion: I think it is cruel to separate them like that in school at such a young age. Why not let them be together and share a special bond? I think it is a special gift to be a twin and have a twin. When they are older, they will naturally start doing things separately sometimes.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 2:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2009