I got it! It's perfect! Other Atheists what do you think?

Man my husband is brilliant! So I was discussing with him my quest to find a "catch-phrase" of sorts. I told him about the women on here who misunderstood my previous post, and thought I was talking about when people sneeze, and I gave him an example of the type of situation I was looking to use said phrase, i.e. the other night at work I went out of my way to help out a customer, and when they thanked me, they said "God Bless You!" I am looking for something to say in response in a situation such as that, that wont be offensive, but will let them know that I am an atheist.

So here's what my husband suggested. The next time that happens, simply look a little confused, ask "Who sneezed?" and walk away scratching your head. Subtle and not offensive. And if nothing else, I will at-least get a good laugh out of it! What do you think?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im christian and i would find "who sneezed" hilarious, and i would immediately understand you didn't believe in God... if someone who is christian took offense, then they obviously arent a good christian... i thought christians are taught not to judge others.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 1:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• stupid
    Anonymous

• I think it is funny! Like you said, most people probably wont get it.

I have been thinking about your question a lot (and more than just in sneezing circumstances). I still can't think of anything.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• well, thanks jscc, I appreciate that, and if you come up with something, feel free to pm me.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• sorry I'm a little dyslexic tonight I didn't mean to completely get your name wrong jcss.
    my2.5boys

• Why don't you just say "when you die nothing happens." That will be sure to put a damper on their day...and by the way...when ppl say God Bless You you should take it as a compliment. I don't understand you ppl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• How about we say after you die, you simply cease to exist. There is no god, no heaven, no angels. So simply do all the good you can for other people while your alive because there is no one out there to help them. Maybe you have some misunderstandings about atheists.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• no big deal. I didn't even notice.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don't think many people say "God bless you" I usually hear just a "bless you" if someone happens to sneeze, if people say anything at all. If you are athiest you just don't have to say anything at all...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think you are trying too hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2009