Do you have an extremely talkative friend?

I have a friend who I've recently realized is...well...very talkative. I've known here for years and I've always known she liked to talk a lot, but I guess I've just now realized that what she does is selfish and she obviously only talks to me to hear her own voice and reflect her problems off of me to try to solve them. The other night, she talked for two hours straight with me only saying "uh huh" every few minutes or so. Didn't ask how I was until the very end. Does anyone else have friends like this? How do you deal with her?

shawnaquijada

Asked by shawnaquijada at 11:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I have a friend just like that. I just try my best to limit the conversation.
    2lovables

Answer by 2lovables at 11:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Lol I had to make sure you weren't referring to me! I have been known to talk a lot! I think in all honesty you should just tell her it bothers you that she talks as much as she does, just say it politely. I know I tend to ramble but I also try to shut up occasionally and listen too! But if I were her I'd want to know that you're feeling that way in all honesty! That's what friends are for to help each other out and to point out stuff I mean heck we all have things we need to work on don't we? Tell her you love her crazy stories but you feel like she never lets you talk at all. I betcha money it'll work for you! Cuz when she finds herself rambling she'll be like "oh she already told me I need to shut up more often and listen." and she might just start listening more instead of rambling.. and if not give her a counselors number and tell her they can help her cuz you're tired of it lol... maybe that'll help too! Who knows!
    armywife4ever08

Answer by armywife4ever08 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I am very talkitive and I have a friend who is just as you described. Bcuz I am so talkitive I put up with it thinking "maybe I'm like that too?" but no this chick just talks and talks and talks. To the point where SHE calles ME to ask me a question as to how to handle something or do something and when I am in MID sentence (explaining to her what she called me to ask) she interupts me to explain to ME what I AM EXPLAINING @ HER!!!!!

It drives me mad. I just get so aggitated I want to scream "then what did u call me for ?" nd just hang up but I am usually not doing something just so that I could take theat moment to expain something to her, so I tell her "well seems like u got it, I got to g, bye"

Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Oh I 4got the other things she does

1, She's telling me something & suddenly (everything is silent) she just stops talking & zones out in mid conversation in2 1 of her shows like "Diego" although she always lies & says she just 4got what she was saying.

2. she asks a question like how are ur kids & then she zones out into a show saying "uh hu, yah, oh yah" as I talk, as if she's actually listening to me. If I ask her a question she answeres with "uh hu, uh hu, oh yah!", when I point out she didn't hear me she lies & tells me she just didn't hear me but that she WAS listening 2 me(when I know 4 a fact that she just wasn't listening)

It aggrivates me Bcuz there I am trying to be a good friend & B there 4 her bcuz she's calling 2 tell me something "important" but really she's avoiding her kids & her house work & infrindging on my time that I have set aside 4 those very things I end up hanging up bcuz I get nothing done
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 2:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• find a new friend
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I am that friend lol.

I find that sitting at home with my son by myself is boring and I have no one to talk to. When I do happen to find someone to talk to, I let loose like a week's worth of not having good conversation on them. Poor them :-( I don't mean to do it but gosh it feels good to just talk to someone other than a drooling 13 week old lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have a friend like that. I tried to limit our conversations to email mostly. She didn't realize that I have a child to take care of and I can't stay on the phone more than like 20 minutes. She would keep going on and on. But now she has a baby and knows how it feels. Our conversations are great now. She still mostly talks but it's okay. Some friends are needy and we have to accept them like that. Maybe try emailing more.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 9:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• lmao, I can be like that. My friends and I just joke about it, we all have flaws, I'm the talkative one, my other friend is the perfectionist, I have another that is the shy girl, another that is man crazy, another that is a partier... etc.
    So anyways, when my friends and I get together, when I start talking to much, my friends make a joke about it, when my other friends spends too much time in the mirror, we joke with her about it, and so on. This way it's a fun way to tell them that they are pushing it without hurting feelings or ruining a friendship.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2009