My 2 year old + a power wheel = good idea?

Should I get my 2 year old a power wheel for his birthday this Sunday? He has one of those manual bike, but he doesn't really pedal around with it. I have read of some toddlers getting it and loving it. Have you gotten one for your little one(s)? Do they still ride on it??

Thanks a bunch, Mommies!

bbymama

Asked by bbymama at 11:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait! My son got one at two but he is just now fully capable of understanding caution, safety and how to use it and he just turned four. Too many things can go wrong. Unless you can find one that you fit in too! Save the money for now!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes, some toddlers love it. An yes, some get very badly hurt.
    There are physical reasons your son doesn't use his manual bike much. Steering is a skill. Stopping is a skill. Pedaling is a skill. If you look at a developmental chart, it will show that most kids can do these things by 3, not 2.
    Sitting in a battery powered car and pressing on a pedal to make it go faster is easy. Steering it so he doesn't hit things is a skill. Stopping before he hits things is a skill. If you look at the guidlines for these cars, you'll see they are for age 3 and up.

Personally I won't be giving one to my daughter, ever. She is an active kid adn needs active toys. There will be enough passive sitting down to "play" in her life.
    But for parents that do, I strongly suggest they follow the manufactures guidelines. They are there for a reason.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• DO IT!!! they make special power wheels for kids younger than 2.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 1:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Go for it, with the one for his age. My DD had one and loved it. A Dora quad I think it is. She did well with it. We are moving about a month after her 3rd birthday and she is getting a big kid one!!! =)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• We got one for my 14 month old (at the time) at Christmas. He loves it. It doesn't go over 2 mph and the only way he would be able to hurt himself on it is if we weren't there with him and he ran into something. They are safe and he loves it!

The power wheels quads are the ones geared towards toddlers.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Kaycee must be referring to a power wheels car. If you would look at the age and manufacturers instructions on the quads, you will see they are made for age 12 months to three years.

Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2009