Should I feel bad?

My 17 yr old son just got a job at Mc Donalds and got fired two weeks later because I called his job to see if he was still there. He was suppose to get off at 8pm but when he wasn't home at his usual time(8:20pm) I got worried. Come to find out he had called off(I was unaware) to go to a basketball game at school. He told his manager he had a death in the family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You reap what you sow...he lied, and now he is jobless.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• OOPS! You had no clue and maybe it will teach your son to tell the truth and show up to work next time! I'm sure it was embarrassing but hopefully it's a lesson learned! I think it's bad karma (figure of speech) to say there is a death in the family as an excuse when there really wasn't.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No, you shouldn't feel bad. He has now suffered a consequence for lying, and hopefully he won't do it again.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• what's important here is that he has learned from his mistake...that what goes around comes around...uyou lie, you will get caught.
    Don't feel bad for his mistake.
    He got himself fired. Because he lied and was caught.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• You shouldn't feel bad but he should be ashamed.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 1:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• As a matter of fact at his age being allowed to work for someone other than YOU is a privledge. Even at 18 - being your child living in your house just same thing same idea.
    Praying

• I wouldnt feel bad. His choice, his consequence. If anything, I would be driving him to every fast food/ gas station around to find him another job. Teens especially nowadays, have no responsibility or 90% of the time repercussion for their actions, which is why they call in to work for a basketball game. It would bother me more that you didnt even know where he was?
    cksem

Answer by cksem at 7:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No he didn't get fired because you called. He got fired because he lied to his employer and tried to get off work after only being there for a few weeks. I hope he learned something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I would say lesson learned and tell him he did this to himself. But deep down I would feel a bit guilty.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Nope, you should punish your son for lying to you and to his employer. I called my son's work once because I needed to leave a message for him. His manager said he had called in sick and said he was home with a fever. He also got fired. That wasn't as bad as the punishment he got from his dad and me. I can't and don't condone lying and will not lie for my child even if it causes them to suffer some consequence; it sends the wrong message. You have a grand opportunity to make this life lesson stick forever and let him see love in action. Seize the day and be a great mom.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 3, 2009