my son will be 1 on march 20th when should I start the whole milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can start now if you want to. start with 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk and gradually move up until its all milk. this way he gets used to the taste and its easy for his tummy to adjust to
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• thank you!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• do i mix the formula and milk together?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• March 20th. Give it straight, not mixed...begin as you mean to go on. And don't sweat it if he doesn't take it. the nutrients are in other foods, and water is fine for hydration.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i always just made the formula like normal then added the milk. i worked in daycare and i always had to transition the kids from formula to milk. some kids take milk by itself right away, but i found that most wont, thats why i mixed the formula and milk together. It was the easiest way for them to get used to the taste
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The best way to do it is to start now but with each day add one tablespoon to the formula or breast milk that you're currently feeding him until you're on nothing but cows milk. That way his tummy has time to adjust and it doesnt make him sick! If you mix it in very slowly the child will be less likely to reject the new taste and texture as well. You want to make sure to ease it in because kids need milk and you want him to like it straight away without being forced to add chocolate and stuff to make him drink it later on! Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• giving it to him straight without gradually adding it to a cup or bottle could constipate him. i just added a shot here or there in kinzie's bottle to cool it off, really, when it was too hot and eventually gave it to her cold. i dont even warm it, but she has beeon drinking it for almost a year now, shes 19 months. i say mix it right in with the formula, good luck.
    KinziesMom777

Answer by KinziesMom777 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I started switching my daughter when she was 11 months and I was down to one can of formula. I simply started adding more and more milk as the formula ran out...
    6 ounce formula, 2 milk
    4 and 4
    2 and 4
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• We just made a switch, no mixing. I would make the switch once he's getting his basic nutritional needs from table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I was always told not to mix the formula and milk, but ask your son's pedi. Besides what do women do who bres\astfeed, how would they mix it if they dont pump? My Dr said that as long as he had had some form of dairy (yogurt, cheese, icecream) and never showed a reaction to that it was safe to switch right around 11 or 12 months. I was also told to never put anything in a cup besides formula dn put milk in a cup, it is easier to wean from a bottle that way, which is recomended doing at around the same age, 1 yr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2009